Any one knowa good shop to rebuild a big block chevy?

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Was about to stick a efi setup on my airboat. Figured I better do a compression tests first and found out I have bad rings on a few cylinders. Epic fail!!! So instead of bolting parts on i started ripping parts off. All the builders i know are gone. any one have a good builder they can recommend?

20130511_111140_zps141def39.jpg

Why not get a GM crate engine (short block), send out your heads to be reworked and bolt on your other accessories. Motor will have a warranty and done right from the factory. You can stab your own cam into it also if you want more rumble. Might be close to the same costs as a full machine shop rebuild.

That may be the way I go depending on what the insides look like. It's hard to beat the cost of crate motors but there are a few things airboa motors need to stay happy.

With luck its just the Rings and a quick fix, like that ever works out that way:)

Scott Racing Engines "formerly Ed Hale Racing Engines" Lakeside ca (619) 443-4608

I don't know much about the Scott Racing engines, but I'm pretty sure he was a guy who took over for Ed Hale after he died. I took a 429ci Cadillac motor to Ed when I was in high school because he was the only guy around who would touch it. He bored it out, polished and ported the heads, new valve seats and guides,magna-fluxed the block, and blue printed it for me. AWESOME shop. That '64 Cadillac would brake stand like no other! Stupid-crazy fast for a 17-foot land yacht!

Check them it out if you're local.

Ed Hale had an amazing reputation. I would give Scott Racing Engines a call and at least have a conversation.

I was going to also recommend Ed Hale Racing, but I don't have any experience with the new owners. Ed's stuff hauled the bacon and were reliable motors. Not to mention what a nice guy he was.....I miss watching him drive at Cajon Speedway!

Ed Hale was an awesome builder. I went in there with my Cadi motor not knowing A THING and he hooked me up. Very knowledgeable, very helpful, very cool.

I'm not sure what kind of work the new guy is putting out, but I'm pretty sure it's damn near as good as Hale's work.

It's a old mark IV block, not sure what it makes to be honest. I can only judge it by how it spun the prop.
someplace close to 500hp. With the78" 3 blade prop the motor could over spin even at maxpitch. Since I didnt build this motor and the guy that did has passed it's been interesting to see what's inside I got the heads off tonight :) Nothing to evil so far but it's got a few problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqpfxjqwnY
Did not rebuild the old motor, just got a new one and here she is :) I think its going to push the old sled just fine

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu