Anyone willing to take on a Noob Shadow

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
So everyone says to ask questions right? Here's a question: is someone willing to let me tag along sometime?

I have zero hunting experience and next to zero knowledge. Other than reading a few websites, Field and Stream, and miscellaneous books on wilderness survival, I don't know $h!t from $h!nola about hunting. I have managed to occasionally shoot guns here and there, so I'm at least familiar with firearms. I am wondering if anyone in the San Diego area is willing to show me the ropes? Birds, rabbits, pigs, deer, whatever. I have lots to learn

What I do have:
A new rifle (.270), looking to get dirty
2 shiny new skinning knives (also looking to get mucked up)
a hunting license with upland, and a pig tag (ambitious, I know)
a sturdy pack full of rope, fire starter, emergency blankets, water, etc
possible access to a shotgun (and a plan to buy one)
a can-do attitude (willing to help field dress, carry, help out however)
a 5-pack of elbow length cleaning-grade latex gloves, Z-87 sunglasses, and sturdy ear plugs
an uncanny ability to sneak and be quiet
solid knowledge of most things outdoors and wilderness survival
a constantly replenished supply of delicious home brewed beer (for afterwards)

Any takers?
Matt

Hang in there Matt. I’m not from SD but I can say it's the hottest time of year for these guys seriously trying to chase bucks so it’s a lot to ask of anyone right now trying to tag out with the clock ticking. You sound like an alright guy. I suggest going out a few times with family or friends just to scout some spots, target shoot and get comfortable in the field with your rifle. Be safe. The shot gun is your best bet to come home with some small game. Jack rabbits and coyotes are not edible but you can hunt them all year for practice ( Jan. – July is practice time). Then you’ll be ready for next season. I’d start with Dove, Cottontails and Pigs if you’re lucky. Reach out to folks after deer season and I’m sure you’ll get a taker. If you do, offer to drive, pay for gas etc.

First of all welcome to the site. You definitely seem to have your PPEs in place and have the desire. Unfortunately as Buckhunter stated this is the start of rifle deer season and most have plans. Quail season is open and pheasant / 2nd season dove is just around the corner so that might be your best bet for a hunting intro.

I agree; a Bird hunt is the best way to start hunting as it is a more friendly hunt in different ways. First of all making unintentional noises like steping on a tree branch won't spoil the hunt, and is the right hunt to be able to chat and learn with your buddies for this season; then you'll have a full year to practice on the shooting range, learn more skills and tactics for your first Big Game Hunt.

Papi

Welcome to the site msteiger! I can't be of much help as far as the hunting part but the "constantly replenished supply of delicious home brewed beer" sure sounds good!

With enthusiasm like yours I'm thinking it won't be long before you hook up with someone.

I've notice a few other people in the Newbie Den looking for people to hunt with...what about finding someone else who is just starting out and getting started together? I'm sure you already have a lot of knowledge that another new hunter could benefit from, and they might know a thing or two that you don't.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

I'm another noob who's looking for more hunting partners. I live in LA but would love to find another hunting partner. Thanks!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu