? Archery deer/bear hunting question

Sdbirds

You can't kill it from your couch.
Jul 9, 2012
El Cajon
I'm putting in for some zones up north this year so about bear hunting. If I'm deer hunting ( Archery) can I have a rifle in camp for bear Assuming the season is open

I think legally speaking, that if you are bow hunting deer, you cannot have a rifle with you, even in camp if you have a bear tag. If you're hunting bear with a rifle, leave your bow and archery tag at home. If you're bow hunting deer, bring the the bear tag but make sure that rifle is a long way away from where you are. I can only imagine the questions following a deer hanging in a tree at camp with an archery tag on it and DFG finding a rifle in your tent. Yikes! Best to not chance it. DFG doesn't mess around with bears...

I'm sure you're an honest guy, or at least hope you are, but I wouldn't give fish and game a reason to start asking questions.

Holy Santa, is DFG really that strict that you can't have a rifle with you even camping in the woods for archery season? Wouldn't it make sense even as personal protection to be allowed to have it at camp?

Here is your answer

(h) Except as provided in subsection 353(g), archers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag

(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).

it does make sense, but its against the law to have any gun with u in camp or vehicle while archery hunting

Nope...in camp is OK. You can't possess a firearm in the field during the hunt.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
I

I'm sure you're an honest guy, or at least hope you are, but I wouldn't give fish and game a reason to start asking questions.

I've met u before deer hunting u had 2 guys with you and i came down a mountain side to where u were parked. I had a bow with me

Sdbirds said:
SoCalRebelHunter said:
I

I've met u before deer hunting u had 2 guys with you and i came down a mountain side to where u were parked. I had a bow with me

10-4. But with this crazy state I'd error on the side caution.

And for the record, I did only see you with a bow that day ;)

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Sdbirds said:
SoCalRebelHunter said:
I

10-4. But with this crazy state I'd error on the side caution.

And for the record, I did only see you with a bow that day ;)

Ha ha ha. Ya all that bs is behind me I can reach out and touch them again

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu