AZ javalina

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
did some reasearch and found where ill be doing my first OTC javalina hunt next year via bow.

what can you guys tell me about your javalina hunts.

Last edited:
They are everywhere. The fall draw is coming up soon public land hunting in January is something I look forward to every year in AZ.

They are everywhere. The fall draw is coming up soon public land hunting in January is something I look forward to every year in AZ.
just read you can draw one tag and otc another. awesome. im gunna try to make a push on this

I can attest to Az. Javelina not being dumb. In 1997, a group of us went to San Carlos Apache Reservation. We scouted the day before the opener and right before it started to get dark we found a herd of pigs close by, they got wind of us and left in a hurry. The next morning we set up on the rocks overlooking the same game trail and never saw or heard them again in that area. The following morning, we managed to get on their butt in a canyon as they were feeding on Nopal cactus but they gave us the slip. we could see the round bite marks on the cactus and the cactus still dripping from the fresh bitten flaps. Apparently cactus thorns don't bother javelina none. We even hired an Apache guide name Cephus but he wasn't able to get us on them. Ol Cephus was one ballsy Apache as he would crawl into little caves with his single shot 22. 20 years have passed and its time to go back to the Nation and try my hand at quail there but I still want to give Rez Javelina another shot as well.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
The January hunt is awesome because the coues and muleys are also very active.
I purchase an otc deer tag for archery deer so I hunt both species.
I have been on this hunt 10 times and have a 50 % success. On one trip I filled my jav. And deer tag. Super fun hunt.
I think javelina is the perfect animal for bow hunting. Even on the trips we’re i ate tag soup I was on Javelina but just couldn’t seal the deal.
Highly recommend this hunt.

cant wait i think im just going to hunt 38M OTC. to get my feet wet. the lower units to look tempting. might go in early dec to do some scouting.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu