BackPack Hunting-> Tripod Glassing-> Gridding -> BallHead OK? -> What else is maybe Better?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
BACKGROUND INFO:
I currently have a Vortex Summit SS Tripod. My model has the Ball-Head. They *now* offer this same model with a Pan-head.

With the style of hunting I've been doing (sit for long time at ambush point) and the terrain I've been doing it at (thick chapparal), I just haven't used my spotter and Tripod all that much. Another reason for this is that during all this time my vision started declining rapidly and I need to wear glasses all the time now. And I don't want to have to fuss with taking off and putting on my glasses when out in the field. To me.. that seems like a recipe for losing or dropping and breaking your glasses far away from help. (Yes, I bring a spare pair as well, but still don't want to have to do that when glassing)

In this next coming year I want to change things up a bit and add in new hunting areas into my choices.

I believe in order to do that effectively, I'll need to get serious about putting in time glassing from a Tripod.

I now intend to have 8x (or 10x) strapped to my chest, and carry 15x binos in the pack for glassing off Tripod.

I just purchased some Vortex Vultures 15x56 HD and with having to wear my glasses now 24/7... these seem much easier to look thru than the 11-33x50mm Razor compact spotter I have. On the spotter, when cranking up the zoom, after like the 22x mark I'd say it gets to a point where in order to effectively be able to make use of the zoom without a bunch of vignette'ing of the FOV, I'd need to mash my eyeball up closer to the eyepiece than I can while wearing my glasses for that last bit of the power range.

After reading lots of reviews, I finally decided to go for the 15x Vultures, and for the brief amount I've been able to look thru 'em, I'm pretty jazzed with the decision! All the power I believe I'll ever need (All I care about is getting a legal deer, Just need to be able to detect it has at least 2 points, I ain't picky... hehe.. yet!), wider FOV, can keep my glasses on, and no fussing with squinting/covering one eye.

I used to cover my other eye with my hand to prevent squinting, and that worked fine. But kinda can't do that now that I keep my glasses on all the time. NO room for my fingers to fit between outside of glasses and eyepiece of the spotter. And like I said, I don't want to be taking my glasses on and off.

TODAY'S QUESTION:

So... for the task of "gridding" an area with my optic... will the ball-head be *OK*... OR... those of you who glass extensively... is it your opinion that a Pan-head or Pistol-Grip head will be a much easier tool for this job of gridding with the 15x binos?

With my current Tripod, there doesn't appear to be a way to change-out the head for the Pan-head like they have on the newer model of this same Tripod. (Not happy about that.) So if I do decide I need to go this route of getting a better Tripod system... I'd love to hear what other systems you all have that don't kill you in weight, don't make you have chest-pains when thinking about the price, but that you enjoy using when glassing!

Thanks for your time and input!

I would just try it and see how it goes. I’m certainly a proponent of buying the best equipment if you can afford it but your current setup might work just fine for you.... newer hunters balk when I tell them they need a tripod to glass off of and I tell them even a 15 dollar tripod will immensely improve their deer spotting success. You might find that you can get just the right tension on that ball that you can easily guide the glass where you want. Although if you want to grid a panhead is best.

I started with an Outdoorsmans pistol grip head and switched to the mini-panhead when I bought a spotting scope. I much prefer the mini-panhead. That said, I don’t really grid stuff out unless I’m having a really hard time finding deer. It just never feels right to me. I always felt I was spending too much time glassing terrain that obviously didn’t hold deer when gridding. Study the area you are hunting and you’ll find the places the deer like to use. I let my eyes and my brain direct the glass. Works for me.

I think we have a different defintion of what a Ball-Head is. That *I* know of... a Ball-Head is the mount is mounted onto a Ball... the ball is wedged between two halves which are tightened down onto the ball via a screw knob to hold the Ball frozen at a particular position.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Outdoorsman micro head, outdoorsman bino adapter it’s expensive but it is like nothing else out there. Outdoorsman builds their stuff specifically for Glassing everyone else is basically for video and pictures and we make them work for glassing.

View attachment 37692View attachment 37693

I have already ordered Outdoorsmans bino adapter. That system made great sense to me.

With regard to the head... it's my understanding that I'd also need to then buy another Tripod.

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove just the "head" on the Vortex Summit SS.
(P.S. if I'm wrong about that, please somebody let me know how this can be achieved.)

So... in light of the fact that I may also have to buy a new Tripod itself as well... I need some affordable suggestions for a few of them. I only need it to be able to support the 15x binos. And for it to be as lightweight and packable as I can afford. I do not realistically see myself buying any big ol' spotting scope. Or at least not within the next few years.

Shoot... dang it... I just realized that I did not order the Quick Release Adapter base, and that it will be necessary for the Bino Adapter. FACK!

EDIT: OK, I guess for right now I don't *have* to get the Quick -Release adapter since I'll be using the quick-change plates from my current tripod. But yeah, looks like whenever I'm ready to order the Micro-Head, I'll have to get the Quick change adapter, and maybe the window mount as well.

EDIT: OH hey... wait a minute... looks like I *may* be able to get away with just getting their Quick Release Panner! I could mount that... onto the quick-change plate of my current tripod's ball-head... then.. their Bino Adapter would mount on top of that! Probably weigh less and pack smaller too!

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a way to remove just the "head" on the Vortex Summit SS.
(P.S. if I'm wrong about that, please somebody let me know how this can be achieved.)

I would just call or email Vortex... they will be able to tell you with certainty. It sounds odd that you wouldn’t be able to change the head, or at least the center post/head assembly. But I’m not familiar with that setup. Again, for true “gridding” a pan head is the ticket but if you can make it work with the parts you ordered... do it.

I contacted them directly via email. They said the new head cannot be installed upon the prior model. Which I think is a terrible idea on their part.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu