Barnes Tipped triple-shock bullet reloading question

Andy599

619-204-2325
Aug 26, 2012
La Mesa
So I am just starting to build a hunting load for my new tikka T3 .308 I took the gun to P2K the other day to sight in and test my new rounds. I had some target loads built already using some nosler 168 HPBT loaded with 42.5 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR powder CCI 200 primers, OAL 2.800 which shot very consistent with tight groups. I sighted my rifle in using those bullets and then went to shoot my Barnes Bullets with annoying results. The Barnes TTSX 168 gr. bullets were loaded with the same powder and grains and also at 2.80 OAL which put it at 0.18 off the lands which was just about all I could do to fit it in the magazine. My first shot was about 5 inches high and 3 inches to the right. The rest of the shots were in about a 3" group around the original 1st shot ( this was all at 100 yards) The primers had signs of pressure as they were flattened. Has anybody had any experience using the IMR 8208 XBR powder with Barnes bullets that could offer any opinions or suggestions. I am going to try using some federal 210 primers with IMR 4895 and Hodgdon BL-C(2) and see if anything changes.

I just found this on Midway USA's reviews of the Barnes TSX bullet: I load the 168gr Barnes TTSX for my Tikka T3 in .308win. with excellent results. Due to the magazine dimensions of the T3 I was unable to load the rounds to the overall length that I wanted.
I was able to obtain 1/4 minute groups at 100 yards with an "accuracy" load, and 1/2 minute groups with my hunting load. Given the length of the bullet I chose to use a ball powder, Winchester 748 to be exact. The result was a very accurate load at just over 2600fps that wasn't compressed.

Now I just need the other part of the recipe ( grains used, primers used, OAL ) I guess I get to try that part on my own.

Barnes recommends the Federal 210 primers in the loads listed below for the 168 grain Barnes TTSX in .308 Winchester:

Win 748: Starting charge 41.5 grains - Max charge 45 grains

If it were me, I would be trying the Varget. See info below:

Varget: Starting Charge 41 grains - Max charge 45.5

Andy, the reason the Barnes #4 manual does not list the TTSX is because the TSX uses the same loading data. The only difference is the TTSX has a polymer tip (increasing BC slightly).

In the loads I worked up years ago for Barnes I'm .4-.5 off the lands and my groups all touch. They need a bit of a jump unlike lead.

Good luck.

MJB said:
In the loads I worked up years ago for Barnes I'm .4-.5 off the lands and my groups all touch. They need a bit of a jump unlike lead.

Yep - Barnes recommends .050 off of the lands.

Have you tried the Cutting Edge Bullets? Might like them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu