Bears in San Diego

Hmmm, Interesting. I'm not sure I completely buy the alleged location though. If it is true, might make for more hunt oppurtunities in the future. With hound hunting gone, I imagine the population is going to grow a bit. I don't know that our deer herd in San Diego needs another predator though.....

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/05/tp-black-bear-is-sighted-in-desert-near-sd/

No doubt , 100% certain that there are bears in San Diego mountains!

Them bears smell /hear the average hiker or bike and are gone, there are spots on Palomar mnt that people haven't been in for 10 yrs. you could hike 5 miles in and be on the back side of Palomar and get lost. That's what the pigs do. Wwe hear about sittings of pigs a couple months a year than there gone, they just don't disappear... they go deep in the mountains when they get pressure or it drys up. and there's proly 3-400 pigs in the Palomar area and look how hard they are to find.... There could be 10 breeding sows in San Diego county and we would never know it , most people go maybe a mile out off the road. I guarantee that if the few people that do see bears on there property in the mountains, There not calling the news's.

Brando

I know there was a bear cub found "wandering" along a dirt road by DeLuz back in '08. It's a small community southwest of Temecula in the CNF ( kinda between Temecula and Fallbrook). Though there was great speculation in the validity of the claim, DFG considered it an orphan cub whose mother probably died.

I'm sure there have been more sightings, and there's probably more bears than everyone thinks there is too. Bears are rather hard animals to find, unless you absolutely know where to look or are using hounds, or just get plain lucky...right Breacher?

Both bears that I've shot have been purely by coincidence and luck. Both times I was deer hunting and just happened to have a tag in my pocket. The last one was big enough to just miss the books. The last one I saw had two cubs with her, and one of them surprised me around a boulder at 5 yards. Needless to say, I walked nearly 300 yards backwards waiting for mama to come running at me. Probably the most "on-edge" I've ever been in the woods.

But back to the bear in question; there has to be more. But I'm certain state biologists aren't focused on rooting around San Diego county trying to put an exact number on the population. Bears are secretive and illusive. Anyone ever see bear remains in the woods? Most likely not. And for good reason!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've been to that location and spoke with boarder patrol that took that video. At first glance there is not doubt that is a bear, but after visiting the exact location and considering the video was taken over 600 yards away it is actually a raccoon. At the end of the video it looks like it is wondering into the trees, but that is actually brush about 15 inches high.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu