Best 17 HMR for the money????

spot dropper

Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys,

I am looking into securing a 17 for my collection to mess up some ground squirrels but don"t know what direction to go in for finding an accurate and well priced rifle. I have been looking at the savage 93R 17 BVSS. Can anyone come up with a reason to look at something else?

Thanks

I have the Marlin 917v, and I love it. extremely accurate riffle. If you google 17hmr reviews you find some good comparisons. You want to stay away from the semi auto 17hmr, there is a safety issue with auto loading this round.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 93
I have the bsev. Shoots great, dimes @ 100 yards 9/10 times I'd say. Only thing I don't like is how soft the stock is.. Have to be extra fragile, doesn't get out too much due to that reason haha.

After looking at reviews id say your best value is the savage your looking at. Really nice rifle for the money. If you want more its a $1000 step up, and that won't shoot any better. I can shoot 1" groups at 100 with mine and its the cheaper of the class. Less then $300 for mine.

Thanks for the replies guys I just saw that Marlin makes a very similar stainless fluted barrel model. Went into Fine Firearms to check out what they had and it looked like the zombie apocalypse set in and that was the only store in town. Crazy

If you have a tight budget then the Savage is your mark hands down. CZ would be next in line and after that the sky is the limit. Cooper, Volquartsen etc.

If it were me, I would wait it out for the Winchester .17 Super Magnum Rimfire. 3000 FPS and accurate. Should hit the stores in the next few months. It is going to take the hill regarding cheap 17's!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu