Black Bear hunting

I am Blown Away by how athletic they are! We went back to where we spooked one and had this face-to-face encounter... and it ran up this super steep hill. And it had to like take rests every 20yds or so to stop and look back at us and catch it's breath.

Wow... that hillside was just like a patchwork of pine-needles and dust! With like every step we were trying to take to climb up it and follow his same path.. Oh My Goodness.... you'd take like 2-to-3 steps that sank in before one would finally catch traction enough to make the next step! It was Insane! It was then I realized just how unfathomably bad-ass they are!

You're working way too hard... find some flat country close to the truck and your success will go up. Bears are lazy... Ed F

Reactions: MJB
There are all kinds of roads into the places I have in mind. But... this is California!! So no, no, no!!! Those roads aren't for you Mister John Q. Public. Nay! Nay! You, Mister Citizen, must hike-in...extreme distances! And these places are the have-to's because they have the water. But yeah... there are a few more places I still need to checkout which may offer easier entry to areas with water and the right kind of conditions. I'll definitely keep that in mind though. I'm sure my knees will thank you.

When can you guys go scouting for bears? I'm usually free during the weekends so an early hike or even a camp out would be great. Not sure on what trails head to start though. I was thinking of San Bernardino peak divide trail or start hiking from the campgrounds located on highway 38.

Probably be screwed out of weekends this month. We offered to host his boy scout Troop for the end of year Pool Party end of June, so the weekends leading up to it will be pretty much me and me alone getting the house and backyard and pool all nice and ready little bit each weekend. J send me a PM and we'll discuss further.

Last edited:
Ooops. Wrong convo....

Attempting to multi task at work.

Lets put a scouting party together in July sometime, more the merrier, maybe there will be multiple hunts going up during the fall if more go up to scout in summer.

Did anyone on SCH bag a bear last year?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu