Bow for hunting?

Muledeerhunter

Nov 5, 2013
Sorry California
New to this, so: I had my bow adjusted down to 50 lbs. so I could practice with it (70 lbs. was quite a pull). What pound pull is used for deer hunting? Does a 50 lb. pull equate with a 30 yard shot? Does a 70 lb. pull equate with a 50 yard shot? Thanks.

All bows are different so 50 pounds of draw weight doesn't really mean much. Some shoot faster an others. There is a formula that you can use(ask the Bow n Arrow shop) to get your KE (kinetic energy) to see if you have enough energy for different size animals.
The old rule of thumb is the distance you can consistently hit a pie plate is your max range.

http://archerycalculator.com/archery-kinetic-energy-and-momentum-calculator/

Weigh your arrows then put a few through a chrono to get velocity. Punch those numbers in this program then you'll know the KE of your arrows.

Do a quick Google search and you'll come up with lots of info on KE vs. Velocity. Enough to make you an expert.

Interesting thread. KE is key for bullets, but isn't penetration the primary goal when you are sending a razor into an animal's vitals in an effort to cause hemorrhage? In that case, the key value would be momentum, which is mass x velocity, or MV. And if that is the case, then maybe the weight of the broadhead is important (125gr vs 100gr for example, and maybe 2" vs 2.25" diameter would allow greater penetration by reducing resistance at the point of entry). great question!

Make sure the arrow has left the string prior to entering the chronograph.

In Ca the rule of thumb and the CFW regs state that your bow must be able to shoot an arrow a minimum of 130yrds to be considered big game worthy. So I wouldn't worry about all the numbers and formulas that give you K E and FPS. Any compound bow set to 50lbs will shoot that far easily. Don't over think it, I can see needing all that info for sending a bullet 400 plus yards, but were talking 30 yrd with an arrow just go practice practice, practice. And have fun.

Long story short yes you will be able to kill a deer with your bow set at 50#..

I put a some arrows over the chrony. It comes out to 47.9 (Kinetic energy), so plenty to kill a deer, but I am starting out at this (poundage) to practice with. I don't feel a big strain drawing it back, but my elbow (arm holding the bow) is definitely not used to shooting a bow (slight twinge I guess I would say). I am going to get a hay bale so I can practice in my yard at 20 and 30 yards (I already ran it by the Sheriff's department). Thanks for all the advice/info.

careful of that elbow. Do you have an experienced buddy who can watch you draw and anchor?

50 lb can also hunt moose and grizzly. That's plenty bow, especially for a newer compound. Keep your broadheads sharp and arrows over an ounce and you'll have sufficient penetration. Practice enough so that you can smoothly draw even when you're stiff and cold, and the pie-plate rule is a good test for accuracy. Did you make it in to a shop yet? It's been two weeks! :)

No, haven't made it yet. Busy with work, family, and taking a college class so I move up in pay. Laid off shooting the bow for about two weeks, and that twinge/soreness in my elbow disappeared. I will get there......soon? lol, eventually.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu