Bow hunter from Oceanside

HHlongbow

Nov 9, 2012
Hi everyone just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. My name is Jeremy and I enjoy shooting the longbow. I have never hunted before but am starting the licensing process now.

Tell us about you're longbow. Trad bows are something I've been dying to get into. Millbro on the site will probably make fun of me but I've been wanting one for a LONG time. Need to scrape up the $ to get a decent one. Welcome to the site!

Does the HH in your name stand for Howard Hill?

Breacher, exactly! Howard HIll is what it stands for. I just recently got into archery about 5 months. ago. My first bow was a 65# hickory selfbow is what they call it. I still have it. I recently got a bamboo and fiberglass laminate Howard Hill longbow. This is going to be my big game hunting bow. Well I can tell you this they don't perform like a compound but they are capable of taking any game on the planet with the right draw weight and they are feather light in the hand! Look up some youtube vids of Howard Hill and Byron Ferguson and that for sure will get you stoked about taking things more primitive. Its a hell of a lot of fun just going to the archery range with a quiver full of arrows and a powerful longbow that can be strung in seconds. My HIll longbow is 70 lb. draw at 28 inches. Alright take care for now.

Jeremy

Some more info. that might help. Just so you know longbow's are easier to get the hang of shooting then recurves. The stiffer limbs make them less sensitive to shooting errors and more stable for precarious unconventional hunting shots.

Jeremy

Thanks for the Welcomes guys! Nick suggested that I post some pics of my new Howard Hill longbow. So here are some. Enjoy!

Big Five model 66" nock to nock 70# @ 28" draw.

Attachments

• photo(20).JPG
    photo(20).JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 12
  • photo(25).JPG
    photo(25).JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 8
  • photo(28).JPG
    photo(28).JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 11
Yeah Snake Charmer that is just the pic. Both limbs are the same length. Well it is the Big Five model from Howard Hill Archery. Howard HIll is known as the best archer to have ever lived (died back in 1975) but the legacy continues. This particular bow is made of 4 laminations of bamboo sandwiched between 2 layers of fiberglass giving it better strength and performance than just wood alone. The handle is made of exotic Cocobolo wood a Central American hardwood. Howard Hill was the first white man to kill an elephant with a bow and arrow. The bow he used was the same model (material make up) and style as this one. Just a bit heavier in draw weight! lol. I have of course not hunted yet with this bow but I hear with a draw weight of 70# it is suitable for just about any big game on the planet. I will be starting my adventure with rabbit or bird just to get my feet wet. If you have any questions or any advice don't hesitate. i could use all I can get plus some. lol
Thanks for the interest and happy hunting.

Jeremy

Howard Hill is among a list of great archers.......Fred Bear, Saxton Pope, Art Young, Rube Powell.......how about Doug Easton. There are many more I'm sure but its quite an amazing history....

Have you shot that bow through a chrono? What is your arrow weight? Curious what kind of velocity you're getting with a #70 draw. You may be hitting close to 200 fps?

Well I will never get the performance of a compound or even a modern reflex-deflex longbow. I have yet to shoot through a chrono, also getting some 80# spine arrows made as week speak. I will tell you this Craig at Howard Hill archery states that this bow shoots a 115 fps. plus the draw weight of the bow which is 70# making it 185 fps. This figure I guess will go up or down a little depending on diameter, material etc. Don't quite know the grains or weight of the arrow. These longbows like heavy arrows or should I say stiff!! Maybe close to 700 grains or more. In carbons I shoot 400 spine. I am going back to wood arrows for awhile. Got some blunt tip flu flu's comin too, to do some turkey and rabbit right!? Nick, You gotta get a longbow man. You can get them cheap? My first was an all hickory I did all the finish work it only cost me 60 bucks for the bow. One thing I was gonna also mention about traditional, I read your article about your bear hunt congrats on that. Didn't you make a 60 yard shot?! Well most trad. guys prefer no more than 20-30 many times a lot less than that like 10-15! I don't know how the heck they do it but talk about adrenaline!! Later

Jeremy

HHlongbow said:
Well I will never get the performance of a compound or even a modern reflex-deflex longbow. I have yet to shoot through a chrono, also getting some 80# spine arrows made as week speak. I will tell you this Craig at Howard Hill archery states that this bow shoots a 115 fps. plus the draw weight of the bow which is 70# making it 185 fps. This figure I guess will go up or down a little depending on diameter, material etc. Don't quite know the grains or weight of the arrow. These longbows like heavy arrows or should I say stiff!! Maybe close to 700 grains or more. In carbons I shoot 400 spine. I am going back to wood arrows for awhile. Got some blunt tip flu flu's comin too, to do some turkey and rabbit right!? Nick, You gotta get a longbow man. You can get them cheap? My first was an all hickory I did all the finish work it only cost me 60 bucks for the bow. One thing I was gonna also mention about traditional, I read your article about your bear hunt congrats on that. Didn't you make a 60 yard shot?! Well most trad. guys prefer no more than 20-30 many times a lot less than that like 10-15! I don't know how the heck they do it but talk about adrenaline!! Later

Jeremy

You could use the blunts for small game but you'd need an actual broadhead for the turkey. Where did you get that hickory bow? May have to look into it. The bear was 52 yards. I would have liked to have gotten closer but there was no possible way. It was wide open and I think he was starting to realize something was up. When I get a longbow, trust me, I'll let you know!

Alright I am back! Wanted to mention that I just got back from my first hunt(rabbit) today. Definitely a learning curve with this! lol. I figured today was basically just a chance to go out and get an idea for what the terrain is like. Found out that it can be a lot tougher to get 150 yards away from a hiking trail than I thought. Even in southern California the brush can be very thick. I found a dried up river bed near Dripping Springs in Agua Tibia. Followed that out for a ways and saw a lot of deer tracks and droppings other than that no sightings of any animal. I loosed a couple arrows into a dead tree. That felt good!! My arrows got a little messed up not as forgiving as regular hay bales:). I really need to work on my spot and stalk abilities or lack there of. I realized I need to slow down, make less noise and get some quieter boots!! Anyway it was a great time out enjoying something I have never done before.

I going again tomorrow to check out another spot that one of you was so kind to mention of. I will keep you updated.

Jeremy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu