Brand new to Turkey hunting

HHlongbow

Nov 9, 2012
I am brand new to hunting. I went on my first 2 hunts for rabbit several weeks ago. I have heard that Turkey is very difficult especially with a bow and traditional longbow at that! Anyway I wanted to see if I could get some advice on things such as clothing plaid, gillie suite, ground blind etc. Also what is a good landscape and terrain to look out for? Open fields, tree lines etc. I have heard turkeys see color and their sight is 6x times that of a human. I have not ever bagged anything yet but I figure a challenging turkey hunt will at the very least give me needed overall hunting experience. Thanks!!

Welcome to the site HHLB. Your right, turkeys are quite the challenge. The most important thing to learn is how to enjoy the back country by its self. You should be able to spend countless hours out there with out killing anything, and still get great satisfaction out of it. Man I can sit out there day after day and just watch the wild life waiting for the right one, and if it doesn't happen all season Im ok with that. It just goes in the book as therapy. ;)

Invisible man said:
The most important thing to learn is how to enjoy the back country by its self. You should be able to spend countless hours out there with out killing anything, and still get great satisfaction out of it. Man I can sit out there day after day and just watch the wild life waiting for the right one, and if it doesn't happen all season Im ok with that. It just goes in the book as therapy. ;)

I couldn't agree more.

If you are available tomorrow (Sat. Feb 23) the San Diego Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation is putting on their Spring Turkey Tune Up at San Vicente Resevoir. For a small cost there will be speakers, raffles, and a chance to win a hunt at Lake Sutherland (which is prime turkey territory). Gates open at 0830 and it is only $10 to get in. Bring your hunting license and upland bird stamp in case you win a hunt. I'll try and attach a flyer...otherwise just google it.

Attachments

• 2013-SPRING-TURKEY-TUNE-UP-FLYER.pdf
    143.4 KB · Views: 18

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu