Breaking in a barrel

HelterSkelter

Jul 25, 2013
So I bought a new rifle and i am ready to go sight it in, but I watched a video by Larry Potterfield on breaking in new rifle barrels by cleaning after each shot for five shots, then cleaning after each 5 shot groups. I never really heard anything about that before and all the information I can find on the web is mixed, some say it is total BS and some say its valid. Any thoughts?

There is two schools of thought on this some say that the quality of barrels being produced today don't need break while others believe that a careful break in will remove any burrs and rough spots in the barrel similar to honing a cylinder bore in an engine. Personally I break my barrels in by firing one shot then cleaning then two shots and clean then three shots and clean so forth and so on until I reach ten shots. I set up a Weatherby for a friend a few years ago and he gave me some ammo loaded by Tubb that had abrasive on the bullets the ammo came with specific instructions on how to shoot and clean the gun with the ammo and I have to say when it was done the bore was very easy to clean which indicates to me that the ammo polished the bore and removed any rough spots that could hold fouling, the rifle shot under an inch with factory ammo when it was all said and done.

Every barrel will have a "break in" period as to how many shots that it takes is the debate, even with todays technology a lot of barrels are "button rifled" which Savage is well known for (my preferred gun) it is still done before the steel is hardened into barrel steel so the probability of getting small imperfections is still there. As you shoot your rifle you need to clean it OFTEN which most people don't do, there is a lot of build up that affects accuracy, people just don't understand you have to clean your gun to be accurate. Last week I went to P2K shooting range to workup some loads for my Elk rifle there were two guys on the hundred yd range on either side of me and I never seen either one of them stop to clean there gun, I was there several hours shooting and cleaning, each guy ran at least three boxes of bullets through there guns, each guy looked like they were trying to sight there rifle in as they kept screwing with the scope knobs. I actually talked briefly to one of the guys and it turns out he had just bought a rifle for a Brown Bear hunt he was going on soon.
I almost bought that Tubbs barrel break in kit a few years ago but never got around to it, I did read some mixed reviews on it though.
long story short clean as much as you shoot and you will break in your barrel before you know it.
just my 2cents

Breaking in a barrel right is very important! Also remember no metal brushes of any kind down your barrel....that means brass, bronze, bronze coated or steel! Also use coated cleaning rods too. Use the right cleaning solution with a good cleaning jag wrapped with the right size cotton patch. I know, I know, this will probably open a can of worms on here but the only rifles you use a metal brush in are rifles with chrome lined (military type rifles) barrels! The chrome lining is like 4 times harder then the steel that its applied to and almost impossible to scratch with a metal brush. All metal brushes do in traditional barrels (non-chrome lined) is scratch the heck out of the inside of the barrel. This will cause copper fouling in your barrel way faster.

Allright cool thanks for all the input everyone. I think i have a pretty good idead how to clean my barrel John helped me out with that. As far as breaking it in I think I will try the method Larry Potterfield was using in his you tube video even though it seems like a pain, its probably worth it and cant hurt i figure.

Here is the break in that I had to do with my custom barrel.. It was a pain in the @ss but it shoots really nice now. 3 shots same hole at 100 yards!

Thank you for you purchase of an Accuracy Systems Barrel Conversion. While all of our barrels are of high quality, a new barrel will shoot best if careful attention is given to proper break-in. The bore of your new barrel has "pores" and as you break in the barrel these "pores" are smoothed over. A smooth barrel always cleans up better than one that isn't.

Equipment needed:

Purchase 2 or 3 Hoppe's Bore Snakes suitable for the caliber of your rifle.
Cleaning & Polishing compound to be used: Brownells JB Bore Compound (you can get this product by calling Brownells @ 1-800-741-0015) we recommend using this for the entire break in and after the break in it can be used as a barrel cleaner.
Automotive Brake Parts cleaner (For cleaning the Bore Snakes for reuse)

Break-In Procedures:

Clean barrel after each 3 shot group for the first 60 shots or more if needed. Use one of the Bore snakes with the JB Bore Compound mentioned above. Put the compound in bush area of the snake. Pull the bore snake through the rifle from chamber to muzzle 3 times. Follow that up by pulling the clean, dry, second snake through 2 more times. We also recommend 0000 steel wool wrapped around the brush area only this will help lap the barrel even further reducing fouling and speeding the barrel break in. Make sure you use the JB Compound liberally on the steel wool! It is not needed behind the brush area.
Check to see if there is any visible copper fouling. The barrel will have an orange or brown tint inside the barrel if it is fouled. If copper is visible in the barrel a copper solvent will be needed.
NOTE: If Bore snake is used for different chemicals make SURE to completely clean it with the brake cleaner to remove any cleaning solvent from step 1 before using the copper solvent! Mixing of chemicals could have an adverse effect on the barrel. Three bore snakes are recommended for ease of break in. After brake cleaner has been applied to the bore snake, wring it out to remove the excessive brake cleaner. You may have to repeat this process until the snake is completely clean. Allow the bore snake to dry out. It should evaporate with in about 15 minutes in direct sun light.
Take one of the clean dry bore snakes, soak with copper solvent, and run it through the rifle from chamber to muzzle 3 times and let sit for about 10 minutes. Follow that up by pulling the clean, dry, snake through 3 times more. REPEAT TILL ALL COPPER IS GONE!
For the next 30 shots, Clean the barrel after each 3 shot group following the above initial break in procedures. The Barrel should be finished with the break in process after 90 rounds. However if you still notice fouling you may have to continue the process until fouling is at a minimum.
Revert to your normal cleaning schedule. Make sure to continue to always clean your barrel during and after each outing to insure the optimum accuracy out of your rifle.

**The beauty of brake parts cleaner verses Gun Scrubber™ is that the brake cleaner can be found at any automotive store at ½ the cost of the Gun Scrubber™. Brake parts cleaner works just as well and dries just as fast.

Thank you, Accuracy Systems Inc.

Also here is something to think about.

Distinguishing fact from fiction is as challenging in the world of firearms as it is everywhere else. Here's one perspective on firearm cleanliness, from author Tom Tabor in his Gun Digest 2013 article, "Ten Shooting Myths Exposed":

It's always good to clean your gun and keep it in top-notch shape. For shooting consistency, though, it's best to foul the bore by sending a shot down the barrel prior to heading out on a hunt. Why? Typically the first shot from a clean bore will impact in a different spot than the follow-up shots. This was the case in the photo, with the clean bore round printing high and to the left.
"How could anyone make an argument against firearm cleanliness? Well, I can think of only a single instance when a little dirt might be a good thing, and that is inside your gun barrel when it comes to heading out for a hunt. One of the factors necessary for consistent shot placement has to do with the consistency of the firearm bore. Simply put, a round fired through a clean bore will almost always impact at a different point that those shots that follow - and that first shot is often the most important you will take in a hunting situation. I have frequently found the amount of variation can be from about an inch all the way up to three or four inches at 100 yards. If you never shoot past 50 yards, this might not be an issue of concern, but, if you find yourself trying to pull off a record shot at 400 or 500 yards, it could easily become a substantial problem to overcome. I like to remove all the variables I can and, in so doing, I always send a round down the barrel and foul the bore before heading out to hunt."
Foul-the-Bore.gif

http://www.davidtubb.com/accuracy-reloading

Tubbs is quicker and easier but who knows what's best.......but I have to say this has worked for new and used barrels.......plus I have the speedlock spring and firing pin in all of my Mod 70 and have seen a difference. But all responses sound like they do the same thing.......a smooth barrel is best.

Now clean versus fouled......I have some that like it clean for 5 shots and ones that like a fouled barrel for 30 rounds all .270 and above. I think every barrel is unique. But tubbs is the shit!!! Great stuff for the AR group!

We all have our own methods. A lot of the bench rest guys (you know, the folks who break records) don't break in their barrels.

I always break in my barrels, if for anything else - a piece of mind. I have never owned a gun that didn't shoot so I am sticking with my ways.

I am willing to bet though, if you don't break in your barrel - that Tikka still shoots under an inch!

imho....

ok im not humble but still, Just go shoot the thing. The bench guys are chasing after .001 of improvement. spend your time finding what load your gun likes and in the process it will break in :)

Aeon said:
imho....

ok im not humble but still, Just go shoot the thing. The bench guys are chasing after .001 of improvement. spend your time finding what load your gun likes and in the process it will break in :)

Well said Bill...

It's a Tikka! The damn thing is going to shoot!

Well I'm going to the range today after work gonna break in my Tikka using Larry Potterfield's method It's a good enough method for me. I'm not really worried about that .001 improvemmt right now if i get into that ill go buy a proper bench rifle but it still can't hurt to be safe. And i will experiment with different loads to see which ones me and my rifle like the best.

I never "broke in" a barrel in my life. I don't put a dirty gun in my safe either. when I shoot I shoot. when I'm done I clean my rifle then put it away. I only use nylon brushes, proper solvents, and plenty of elbow grease. every gun in my safe has a round count in the mid 4 digits and holds the same accuracy as the day I paid for them. Take care of your gun and it will hold up its end.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu