bubble level + reticle/rifle cant??

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
Took a break from glassing midday yesterday and did some dry fires to pass the time. I was on a steep angle looking down dry firing to a rock about 500 yards away. I had to really cant my reticle to get the bubble level. I checked my scope when I got home and it was level. Does this seem right??

to illustrate the angle of the angle of the ground I was lying on, If I were to lay a board on the ground, the left side of the board would have had air under it.

Heres a picture of what I was seeing in the field cant.jpg

Last edited:
Is that what you are seeing at home or in the field?

I would assume that the bullet level rotated with the cross hairs? If not you have issues.

Assuming bubble level rotated with cross hairs, but showed level at a steep cant then it makes sense. Likely the hill was was on your left (slope left to right)

The only time I had issues like that, I turned the level 180 regs. if that is possible, then back, if it shows Dif. level is POS. I am assuming you over exaggerated the drawings for effect.

Is that what you are seeing at home or in the field?

I would assume that the bullet level rotated with the cross hairs? If not you have issues.

Assuming bubble level rotated with cross hairs, but showed level at a steep cant then it makes sense. Likely the hill was was on your left (slope left to right)
This is what I saw in the field. At home its perfectly level in the bubble and up and down.

Your left and right level (bubble) is effected when the rifle is sloping up or down. It does have an effect. That is why having every axis level is critical when installing the level.

Your left and right level (bubble) is effected when the rifle is sloping up or down. It does have an effect. That is why having every axis level is critical when installing the level.
Here's the weird part. I double checked when I got home with a leveling kit. Everything appears in ordered.

Maybe this happened because the slope angle was so steep/unlevel. The cant brings it back to level?

Optical illusion’s have caused many people to miss the shot by canting the rifle to far left or right of level. Trust the bubble.
Thanks, that's what I am thinking because everything appears to be in order when checking at home

I'm betting your eyes were just deceiving you and your buddle level was 100% correct. Terrain will play tricks on the best of us.

There was one archery shot on the last 3d course the NWTF guys went to and literally everyone was blown away by how much we were fooled by the terrain. We all had to cant our bows a ton to get it level and you never would have known without the indicator.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
If your level is not perfectly perpendicular to your scope, when shooting extreme inclines, down or up, can cause the result of your drawings. Like checking the third axis on a bow, set your rifle at home with the same incline or at least 45 degrees with the ground floor and check again.

I forget where I saw the video showed a bunch of different scopes and people using levels on the top caps and some were way off.
If you level the rifle then put a level on the elevation turret this could cause you to be off.

Try leveling out the rifle and then holding a level to the bottom of the scope turret housing. This is a flat surface that will help figure out level.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu