Buck down!

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
My buddy an I are headed back with our first California deer! It's is just a forky. But still a deer none the less!

Yesterday my hunting partner and I decided to try a new place. We figured there was going to be more people in this area than our last but we took the chance. Headed out in the morning started glassing as the sun came up and all we were finding was cows and people. We began to start walking around 7:30, got on some fresh tracks of what looked to be a small doe being trailed by a buck. We followed the tracks until we couldn't anymore, found ourselves practically surrounded by moderately to heavy used game trails. Kicked up a lot of doves that morning also. Headed back to the truck for lunch after we lost those tracks. 1:30 we started walking in another direction hoping to find a good place to set up for the evening. Found some fresh tracks and rooting of pigs, but no pigs. Later on we stumbled on to a trail headed down in a draw, that happened to have the same tracks were following in the morning. We set up under to trees overlooking a small opening. We were about fifty yards apart. There were a few hunters we could see walking around in the same area as us and the wind was moving pretty good so I wasn't to optimistic about what might happen. As soon as the clock struck 4:05 two shots were fired in our general vicinity, at that my partner saw a doe and a yearling headed off and couldn't get a shot. about 4:45 I heard some noise to my left rear and then I heard a shot ring off, then the sound of a bolt racking another shell, and then the final shot. The buck had snuck in downwind of us at only about 45 yards. When he was hit the first time he just kind of turned around, so my partner put another in him and he dropped after that. Still have a doe tag to fill so we will be back out there soon.

Attachments

• IMGP0006.JPG
    IMGP0006.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu