Camp Pendleton Deer Herd

Awesome, and very creative!

“The habitat can only feed a certain amount of deer,” Tucker said. “To avoid a starvation event, we attempt to harvest about 20% of the deer herd each year. This will prevent rapid herd growth that will create an imbalance in the food web.”

Each year about 60 to 120 deer are taken.

“Hunting is a great tool to maintain the balance if managed properly,” Tucker said. “People have been hunting deer on the land we call Camp Pendleton for thousands of years. “The carrying capacity would differ from year to year, depending on rainfall and fires,” he said. “The goal is to stay below the carrying capacity, which changes with conditions. Going over the carrying capacity is bad for the deer herd.”

Why is this not understood at all levels amongst multiple species is beyond me.....

Thanks for sharing. Love hunting the base most deer I have seen in one day was 9 all does and fawns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu