Canned fresh tuna

Just like the canned goods you buy in the market, it will last a long time. When it's time for use, push down on the lid, if the button pops down don't use it. every so often I pull a jar for use where that has happen for what ever reason, more than likely something on the rim of gar which did not get wiped off. I have some canned bread and butter pickles, one of which I just recently opened, that have been on shelf for well over a year. Also some tomato sauce that's I use every so often that has been on the shelf for over two years. The key to canning is the prep work. Boil jars, ring and lids for ten minutes. Remember to wipe rim of jars before putting on lid and rings. Just put lids on finger tight, you will tighten them down after they come out of cooker and cool down, during which time you will hear the lids snapping down. When ready for pressure cooker first vent cooker until steady stream of steam is coming out of vent, them put vent knob/weight on and don't start time, 90 minutes, until cooker has reach 15 PSI. When time is up DO NOT remove lid until pressure gauge reads 0 PSI. I have the old style Presto pressure cooker, stove top style. I can do about 15 half pint jars at a time.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Just like the canned goods you buy in the market, it will last a long time. When it's time for use, push down on the lid, if the button pops down don't use it. every so often I pull a jar for use where that has happen for what ever reason, more than likely something on the rim of gar which did not get wiped off. I have some canned bread and butter pickles, one of which I just recently opened, that have been on shelf for well over a year. Also some tomato sauce that's I use every so often that has been on the shelf for over two years. The key to canning is the prep work. Boil jars, ring and lids for ten minutes. Remember to wipe rim of jars before putting on lid and rings. Just put lids on finger tight, you will tighten them down after they come out of cooker and cool down, during which time you will hear the lids snapping down. When ready for pressure cooker first vent cooker until steady stream of steam is coming out of vent, them put vent knob/weight on and don't start time, 90 minutes, until cooker has reach 15 PSI. When time is up DO NOT remove lid until pressure gauge reads 0 PSI. I have the old style Presto pressure cooker, stove top style. I can do about 15 half pint jars at a time.
lost art

Awesome, love fresh canned tuna. I myself didn't catch enough this last trip out to warrant the effort of canning this time. But oh so tasty months from now!
Even have canned YT as well. Eventually if/when the albacore show back up in local waters... watch out.
Good stuff, well done sir.

Grandma used to do all the jelly and jams that way. Nothing better

Yup Mom started all the kids, nine of us how to cook and can at an early age. I prolly started when I was ten +-. Mostly jams and veggies.

Of you don't have other plans try to get out tuna fishing. Limits for all boats. Well except to the Toronado out of PowerPoint landing. They are up to 40 YET at last count. That's pretty good for Ray.

Would love good fishing trip, unfortunately to many irons in the fire.
I gonna try to go on dove hunt but it's looking slim for Opener.
I was just dropped with a ton of difficult work. But it's bread and butter for the table.. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu