chamber fit brass or recommended case length?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
This is a total newbie question..... but here it goes!!
I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard S2 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor
Hornady (developer of the creedmoor) says that case length is 1.920....
All of my once fired brass measures 1.9225-1.9240
I am doing my best to develop a very precise load and shoot very tight groups

My question is, should I trim the cases down to 1.920 or should I stay with the chamber fit brass at 1.9225?

Also safety is a concern... a case length .0040 longer then hornadys dimensions could that be unsafe?

Any advice would be much appreciated I'm relatively knew to reloading!

does 2-4 thousandths make a difference? Yes no and maybe. Longer cases can cause your pressure to rise fast. Not knowing how your gun was cut makes it impossible to say what effect if any you will have with .002-004 longer cases.

what you should do is trim them so they are all the same. If shooting for precision then why not drink the cool aid and go all in. Get them processed and remove that as one more variable that can affect performance. You said you wanted to be Precise, well this is just one of many steps to be that.

Do you have the other toys you need to develop loads like a OAL gauge?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu