Cheap easy way to view trail cam pictures in the field, use an old cell phone

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
I'm going out this afternoon to place my new trail cam. As I was rooting through boxes looking for an extra SD card I came across my three year old Droid phone with the microSD card still in it. I ran down to radio shack and for 6 bucks picked up a microsd card to normal size SD card adapter, plopped it in the trail cam took a few test shots and then switched the micro card back to the phone. It worked perfectly and I had no issues viewing the test shots on the phone.

For six bucks I have a light weight photo viewer for the field. I was originally thinking of purchasing the Apple card reader adapter for my Ipad2 with the thought of carrying that around in the field however I use it for work too much to risk unnecessary damage but that is an option for some as well. The Apple adapter is around 25 bucks to import from a SD card directly to the ipad anywhere.

I'm sure many of us have old smart phones laying around with micro SD cards. If you have a current smart phone that accepts micro SD you could also purchase a new micro SD card with adapter for your trail camera and use your current phone to view in the field.

Hopefully this can help someone without having to spend a ton of money on something else.

Great idea. thanks!
I suppose an old digital camera would probably work too, as long as you can interchange the cards or use the adaptor.
8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu