CO River and Oxbow Lake Palo Verde

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
Looking to hunt oxbow lake and palo verde area and have never hunted out there any tips would be great. Also can I launch my bass boat and float down the river and shoot birds? I know it's not likely but sounds fun. Any info and help is appreciated.

I thought I read in the regs that you can't Waterfowl hunt from a boat with a motor mounted on it... regardless of whether you're using it or not... May be wrong...

8SteelTown said:
I thought I read in the regs that you can't Waterfowl hunt from a boat with a motor mounted on it... regardless of whether you're using it or not... May be wrong...

Under the Illegal means of take... page 84... sounds like it's saying the motor has to be off and you can't be moving.

From or by means of any motorboat or other craft
having a motor attached, or any sailboat, unless
the motor has been completely shut off and/
or the sails furled, and its progress there from
has ceased;

You can't be under power. Nor can you be in motion due to power.

You can row and you certainly can float down the river.

Gcddarren said:
So I can leave the motor on my boat and just anchor?

Or drift, you can be under human power as well (paddle/Push pole). Not real familiar with the river up that way, just be sure your not hunting in a closed area/refuge. Also, draw an imaginary line down the middle of the river and that is what separates California from Arizona. If your on the AZ side, you will need an AZ license. It is not like fishing where either state works on the Colorado.

Thanks for all the input I'm just going to bring it all and figure out as much as I can on Friday night and saterday and put in a good hunt Sunday.

I learned so much out there this weekend No ducks, just shot a coot bc I could. tough meet but tasted ok, not my favorite so far. Saw a few ducks IDK what kind, ha, not good at the identifying but i know they were divers. Saw hundreds of Canadian geese on the AZ side. I buying a az license next time I go out that way, I want to shoot one of those things. Tried some quail and spooked up a bunch and got zero, they are so sneaky and fast. If I keep liking the hunting this much I getting a dog in a year or so.

Gcddarren said:
I buying a az license next time I go out that way, I want to shoot one of those things.

Sure wish it was as simple as that... ::)

I know it's not easy but I scouted and saw flooded fields they were flying to early and with a good blind and some decoys I don't see why I couldn't shoot one. I see you have some on your profile pic that you have done this hunting before and I'd love any advice!

There is a lot of federal land in the area you are looking at. Most of it is non-huntable refuge so be very careful where you hunt. And folks are pretty protective about the surrounding private land too. There is opportunity in the area but it is a little more calculated than what meets the eye.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu