Coyote calls

Tanner

May 10, 2012
Ive got real into predator hunting this year and haven't had much luck with yotes. I only have hand calls but am interested in buying an electronic call. I would really like to drop some dogs so any advice on tactics and if electronic calls are worth the investment I would appreciate it. Also is calling to much a bad or good thing.

I use mouth calls and a FoxPro.

I truly feel there isn't any science to calling. Some people have success with calling a lot of some have it calling less. Most of my dogs that I have shot have come in within the first 3 to 8 minutes. But have had a few come in towards the end of my calls. I tend to make shorter stand than most. But if you are hunting the local dogs in San Diego I recommend calling up to 30 plus minutes. These dogs are called a ton and they hear a lot of calls. There are a lot of educated dogs. You will get the feel of calling. I recommend connecting with others and they can help you out. You will hunt with one person and they will call one way and then hunt with another and they call different. They all work if you know what your doing. It just takes time getting out in the field. The more you are out the more chances you get. Have you head on a swivel and be ready to shoot. All of my kills have been from 15 ft to 40 yards. I bring them into your feet so you need to be ready, because you never know when they will show up.

Any foxpro will call em in. I love mouth calls, but an e-call takes the attention off you and allows you to set up for a better shot. I've had coyotes come from all directions, so be ready. And you never know what you will call in, yote, bobcat, lion, badger, domestic dog etc.. I have the foxpro hellfire and its awesome! Lightning jack in usually my go to, followed by pup distress for the last 5 min. Called a lot in by using lightning jack for 20 minutes no yote in sight and switch to pup distress with in 3-4 minutes have one taking a dirt nap. And get a mojo critter helps a ton, they're cheaper then the foxpro decoys and last a lot longer, trust me.

dont leave home with out a good mouth call. As some times a e-caller dont work!

Take 'em, I'm new to predator hunting also. If you get an e-caller, just make sure it's a good one. My buddy has a junk one that actually makes the coyotes stop calling and leave the area (sounds fake). Another buddy has a FoxPro and they come runnin. Where are you located? I'm down to team up on weekends.

TaftHunter said:
Any foxpro will call em in. I love mouth calls, but an e-call takes the attention off you and allows you to set up for a better shot. I've had coyotes come from all directions, so be ready. And you never know what you will call in, yote, bobcat, lion, badger, domestic dog etc.. I have the foxpro hellfire and its awesome! Lightning jack in usually my go to, followed by pup distress for the last 5 min. Called a lot in by using lightning jack for 20 minutes no yote in sight and switch to pup distress with in 3-4 minutes have one taking a dirt nap. And get a mojo critter helps a ton, they're cheaper then the foxpro decoys and last a lot longer, trust me.

Couldn't have said it any better. FoxPro will change your predator hunting life in my opinion. A good set of mouth calls helps too, but i bring both when I go. FoxPro Wild Fire cost about $200 depending on where you get it and is the best bang for the buck. If you buy it through allpredatorcalls.com you can select the 35 pre-programmed calls you want, rather than just getting what the factory sends on the unit. And that helps. I selected 20 when I bought mine, told them where I lived, and they filled in the last 15 with PROVEN sounds for my region. Pretty much a no brainer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu