Coyote Hunt - Saturday Feb 8th - 6am-10am

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
If anyone wants to go out for dogs on Saturday send me a DM. New hunters, old hunters, first time hunters welcome. Temecula for reference. Shotgun or Archery only for this area. I have been wanting to do archery but down for either. Not much of a hike, under one mile out and back. Was thinking get there at 6am and stay till 10 or so, they have been pretty active right before the sun comes up. I have an ecaller, just bring your weapon of choice and some water. Beats sitting on the couch.

Ah man! Oh well, the boy has a hike with the Scouts Troop that I committed to that day.

Feb 29th looks like next time I'll be able to go out for yotes. PM me later to discuss that date.

Hey, turns out Mama is going with the boy, so I'm free for the 8th. Assuming you'd got someone else to go with you already I put myself down for my deer spot because there's been a 'yote that passed thru a time or two while I was on my sits this season that past, but I never had a good shot at him. I want him outta there.

if you are will to have a new hunter i would love to come and learn from you guys. I am located in Murrieta

I think I heard you guys calling ...you probably heard me too.
de0e1652ddd15ba8d61f6a634038e379.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dirtriddr and Mason
That place had been on my “want to check out” list for awhile then I drew a D12 tag and kept getting pushed back. Those were probably your yips we were hearing.

Yeah, you were working the lighting jack and male howl.

When I was out at Wister a few weeks ago waiting for the sun to come up in my blind I was totally surrounded by coyotes, lots of them in every direction, but was listening to them communicate back n forth and it is stuck in my head. I have listened to different videos about sequences and experts calling them but when you hear them like that it sticks. Maybe it was just being out there in the middle of the night by myself with them everywhere that left an impression. But i quickly learned my ecaller is limited trying to duplicate what I heard.

What caller are you using? I am thinking about trying out some different mouth calls to duplicate it instead of the ecaller.

I just got into hunting coyotes recently as an excuse to hunt in the off season and maybe scout. I bought an icotec ecaller w/decoy, and a foxpro 4k9 mouth call. I've been watching tons of youtube videos on the matter, but I still need more practice. I've called a couple of yotes at night in the desert, but they wouldn't commit. Seen lots in the early morning driving to the spot where you were today, but I haven't called any in. I know I'll be getting one soon, I just feel it.

Reactions: dirtriddr
Blowing a Howler call to do an invitation howl can be a bit tricky. If I remember correctly my Primos HotDog (which emulates more of a younger sounding one) is a significant bit easier to do it on then my Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler that's meant to emulate a more mature 'Yote.

However, for prey distress... the various Dan Thompson calls for Cottontail, Baby Cottontail, and JackRabbit Distress are spot on and very easy to blow.

And I know for sure the JackRabbit one sounds right because when me and @SteveHazard were out for Doves, I made a long shot, maybe 70yds, with my 12ga on a JackRabbit and it broke both of his hind legs and his femurs were stickin' out, so we got to hear live in the flesh what one of them sounds like when he's Wailing and Balling. I had to give him a finishing shot when we got up to him.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably just order the Dan Thompson Weems Replica, the Coaxer, and then either of the JackRabbit ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: raybasster

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu