Coyote Skull

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
I have had the coyote skull in my freezer and I know the wife is tired of it. Matter of fact she sends me out to get the meat from that freezer. Maybe she thinks it is going to jump out and get her.

Well I want to have it boiled. I have been planning on doing it myself but I also don't really want to get into it. I have talked to Mike in Pine Valley he will even walk me through the process. But still I haven't found the time to do it. I know we have a number of local people that do this.

What have the costs been? (I just want it Bleached)

What do you think about doing it myself?

Any other thoughts?

Do it your self.

Remember simmer not hard boil. To hot and the teeth will pop.

I was thinking the same I was just thinking of the prep work being then pain. I still need to skin the entire hair and meat/brain. That is why I was kind of debating doing it.

I did one the other day. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for five hours. 99% will pull off by hand. Then sit and scrape out it and you'll get everything off. Then I fill up a large pot with water put the skull in it and put one cup of bleach. I let them sit anywhere from 12 to 24 hours

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
P.m. me if you have any questions. I just went out it. To date I've done three deer One Javelina Two foxes One coyote. All trial and error. I've got it down now. But I'm still learning

Sorry SD but never use bleach on skulls. Chlorine attacks the calicum in the bone and will cause flaky and weakened skulls Hydrogen peroxide greater than 20% is the chemical of choice Boiling the skull is an option but using dermestid beetles or maceration are better methods. PM me and I can give you some options.

Randomshot said:
Sorry SD but never use bleach on skulls. Chlorine attacks the calicum in the bone and will cause flaky and weakened skulls Hydrogen peroxide greater than 20% is the chemical of choice Boiling the skull is an option but using dermestid beetles or masuration are better methods. PM me and I can give you some options.
What is masuration?

The easiest way that I have found with the skulls it to pawn it off on Lungpopper!. He takes it to Randomshot and I get an awesome skull back.

Nice!

Sdbirds said:
Randomshot said:
Sorry SD but never use bleach on skulls. Chlorine attacks the calicum in the bone and will cause flaky and weakened skulls Hydrogen peroxide greater than 20% is the chemical of choice Boiling the skull is an option but using dermestid beetles or masuration are better methods. PM me and I can give you some options.
What is masuration?

Its spelled maceration. Google it. Taxidermy method for cleaning skulls.

Randomshot said:

Where do u get that kind of hydrogen peroxide

I don't the only exception is when doing repair work. Keep in mind that you can't whiten a sealed skull again. If you have grease spot develop down the road you will have to dissolve the sealer before you can work on the grease.

Okay Randomshot,

I have been degreasing the skull ever sense I got it from you. How do you think they look and should I do it some more? I notice the teeth inside the grooves look like the need a good brushing.

Attachments

• 20130329_163253.jpg
    20130329_163253.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20130329_163343.jpg
    20130329_163343.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 6
You still have grease on the lower jaw and around the eye socket. I would degrease it a little longer. The tartar on the teeth will come off with a dental pick very easily once it is whitened. FYI don't try to use wire wheels because they will discolor the teeth.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu