Coyotes- newbie question

Baldkrash, it depends... some guys do it for the skull and fur trophies... some do it and just leave them (they get used up by the birds, bugs, and other dogs and help the birds/bunnies/deer populations improve)... I've even heard of a couple dudes who've eaten them which I would NOT recommend! My buddy's first coyote got skinned and head removed. We went back to the spot the next week and it was just a pile of bones...
Bones.jpg

I hear that if you crock pot them for like a week with barbeque sauce and bottle of whiskey its good. I understand though, that you need to drink the entire bottle of whiskey right before you eat the dog. ;D

NBK said:
I hear that if you crock pot them for like a week with barbeque sauce and bottle of whiskey its good. I understand though, that you need to drink the entire bottle of whiskey right before you eat the dog. ;D

LMAO!!

8SteelTown said:
Baldkrash, it depends... some guys do it for the skull and fur trophies... some do it and just leave them (they get used up by the birds, bugs, and other dogs and help the birds/bunnies/deer populations improve)... I've even heard of a couple dudes who've eaten them which I would NOT recommend! My buddy's first coyote got skinned and head removed. We went back to the spot the next week and it was just a pile of bones...

I am with 8Steel on this and DO NOT EAT THEM!

I actually met a guy once, who was rather new to the hunting thing and shot a coyote...and then ate it. He said it was terrible but still managed to clean his plate. GROSS!

Well some I Remove the head and other I let stay where they lay. For the most part us coyote hunter leave them in a place where others wont come across them easily.

Attachments

• 20130414_174907.jpg
    20130414_174907.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
SoCalGuidedHunts said:
Randomshot said:
Eating coyote sounds as appetizing as eating ground up ground squirrel

or like eating carp.

I hear smoked carp tastes like ham. I wonder if smoked coyote tastes like pulled pork? ;D

So it's not considered poaching to just leave them? I was thinking of going out and trying to get my first, but wasn't sure if I could leave it after I take my pics to show you guys:)

I think anything considered a nuisance is allowed to be killed and disposed of in any way seen fit. It's not poaching if you're not illegally obtaining the game. If you kill and pile up a bunch of jackrabbits or put out last night's leftovers to lure them in, then yes, you're poaching.

WE are the only thing keeping their population explosion in check (even though I'm 0 for 7 on coyote trips). You are the judge, jury, and executioner. Go do work!

It is not considered a Game Animal so you may leave it behind. Make sure you know your hunting laws. Fox and bobcat are not in season now so if they come in you can't shot them.

If you are shooting coyotes in a place people frequent regularly then make sure you leave it in a place others wont come across it as easily.

You can use bait for yotes....................I knew a guy named Curtis that made jerky out of yotes

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu