D-11 Disappointment: DFG, Forestry and Fellow Hunters

jalhunt

Jan 4, 2013
I will say the last two weeks of this deer season were incredibly disappointing. Fish and Game has unbelievably inaccurate maps of closures in this area. Forestry chooses not to enforce its own closures. Fellow hunters violated closures for two weeks straight. Driving up closed roads and harvesting deer in closed areas. Why do we think hunters get a bad name? Most reasons are nonsense put forward by left wing anti-gun activists but why is it that people choose to add more fuel to the arguments? If we hunt in closed areas and harvest deer in closed areas, we are only doing harm to the hunting community. I will say the biggest thing that irritated me was the utter disrespect of other hunters Groups of four, five and six hunters coming through the mountains well after sunrise making as much noise as they want in their respective language. D-11 has a very bad reputation for not getting many deer but also for idiot hunters out poaching and hunting without a license. Those that do this not only disrespect the hunting community but give it a bad name. Forestry and Fish and Game obviously dont care but we have to watch out for each other because the idiots are going to ruin it for everyone. Pretty much all of D-11 is closed due to fires but forestry has no interest in opening areas because of damage and because the idiots are ignoring closures. We have to respect closures and make sure those who violate these closures know what they are doing to the hunting community.

We ran into some of those idiots hunting in one of our better archery only areas with rifles :mad:.We talked to forest service and they told us it was a county ordinance and they could not enforce it. We need better maps and information and I think the forest service should ask for volunteers to assist in posting signs and handing out fliers about the closure. Fish and Wildlife could do the same regarding game laws and ethics . I would give up some of my time in the field if needed to volunteer .All of this may or may not help but at the very least we would have some of the most informed idiots in the woods ???

What area in D11 did you hunt? I know how you feel I see many DWP and Edison workers opening locked gates and driving in to hunt. I've called the forest service and game wardens and they never came. Not only are we paying their blotted salaries but they also get access to land that is behind locked gates. Last year my friend and I packed in 6 miles from a locked gate at Castaic Lake only to find 3 trucks full of hunters parked where we had planned to hunt. When I asked how they got in one guy answered that it was one of the perks for working at DWP. This also happened behind Piru Lake, Edison workers opened the gate and drove to Blue Point Campground and hunted the area after we made a 3 hour hike to get their

I found a place to hunt behind a locked gate two years ago, but last year someone cut the lock off and a bunch of yahoos drove in. I went there this year, first day, and a bunch of guys were cooking breakfast in front the gate, now locked. I just moved on. The DWP workers getting a hunting perk? Makes me wonder why I follow the law. To the original poster -- nothing is going to get done, bureaucracy is corrupt, and most people are lazy and will break the law if they think they can get away with it.

We went to several places. Most were closed because of the fires but there was one road in particular with a closed signed that no one seemed to care much about off Aliso Canyon Rd. Every night from the house we saw seven or eight cars driving down. On the way out in the morning we could see several cars going up. Road was clearly closed. Just think there needs to be some accountability among hunters. It only takes a few to ruin what little we have left in california. Im not upset about not getting a deer. Its hunting. Im pissed about the utter disrespect.

I parked near a a closed and locked gate this year, putting my pack on, two hunters iin a truck rolled past me and barely flipped me a wave.
Thought, "where are they going?" around the corner is a locked gate that said " private property", and had several locks including USFS,
I heard 1 gunshot that morning that had to be back in there past the gate. When I got back out they drove by me with a smirk no eye contact, and no wave. in the back of their rig was a deer with good sized antlers. I made my way back to the gate and saw fresh tire tracks going through the gate. Owner? Has a key?

It is so hard to know....some of us try to follow the law. Believe me, my first day out we saw two big bucks but knew they were in a closed side of the road so we did not shoot. Why is it that these people just go hunt and ignore the closed area? It gives all of us a bs name when it comes to following the law and being responsible.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu