Dead birds!

akrem44

Sep 17, 2014
I know this may be a long shot but is there anyone with whole ducks that would be willing to sale or give away? Using them for training my dog . Preferably in the San Diego area seeing as I reside in alpine . Thank you

Yes. Give away would be the only way. Unless they are farm raised birds, obviously.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All you really need are wings. Strap the wing to a bumper. I am sure wings will be a lot easier for you to get.

I am sorry about that. I do have wings and I have used them attached to a bumper but for some reason he just isn’t getting it. We went out today to wister and due to my horrible shooting skills I only recovered one duck. He went for the retrieve but when he got to the duck he just kinda stared at it for a bit. Confusing and really frustrating

I frequently see guys training their dogs with live pidgeons/Rock Dove (afterwards there are always a few escapees in the trees where I rabbit hunt). I’m guessing pidgeons can be bought locally.

A good title for the thread would be “calling all coots”

Reactions: msailor
Akrem 44, Your steps appear to be too big for your pooch, Baby steps is how you train the average dog from my experience, you need to slow it down and come at it with a progressive approach to what they are willing to put into their jaws as well as how and where you do it. Going to a duck which is a large object to basic retrieve right off the bat probably will not get this done. Start with small stuff and work up.. We would be glad to give you a lesson of two and show you what we know. Prey drive also has a lot to do with this so if your pup has little prey drive you will probably not get much ( they gotta want the bird) P. M. us if you are interested

Drive out to wister and go for a coot hunt, just water smack them, walk out to retrieve by our birds with your dog and make it fun! Use what ever words you do to praise your dog when it does something good, just like snake charmer said , “ small steps” if your dog has prey drive it’s just a matter of time, also was this your dogs first hunt ? Lots going on at the refuge between dogs in crates/ smells and tons of people at 3 am lol.

Take snake charmer up on his offer go get your dog assessed.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I may have a whole duck in the freezer you could have, but I am in the Poway area. I will be at S J tomorrow with a #8 res if you or anyone else want to go. I would also highly recommend a training session with snake charmer. They are very good, my dog loved it there and had no problem with a whole duck when we got to part of his training. Another thing is he was rattle snake avoidance trained there at High On Kennels (I think that is the right name) which I would recommend if your dog is gonna spend anytime in the field. Its affordable and takes only 1 session.
Another thing is you can get a whole duck retrieve toy which is just like a real duck. My dog loves his and will jump in the pool for it every time, even though he doesn't like the pool that much (hates the edges where he can't walk out like a pond).

I know this may be a long shot but is there anyone with whole ducks that would be willing to sale or give away? Using them for training my dog . Preferably in the San Diego area seeing as I reside in alpine . Thank you
I live in El Cajon off Pepper Dr I brought a hen spoony home from wister today. I will throw it in my freezer for you. Shoot me a PM for my address.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu