Early scouting for deer

ruger_lover87

Jan 12, 2014
Just wondering if there is such a thing as scouting too early? I'm a new hunter, but wasn't able to get my license before last season. Now that I do have my license and I've been staring at maps and Google earth for weeks, let's just say I've got more than a little itch to get out there and explore.

My other question is, will I even see deer at this time of year? And if so, will where I see them even be relevant come the opening weekend? From what I gather, most mule deer in D13 spend them summers up high and winters down low, correct? I ask that because a couple of my prospective areas are closer to 4000ft, while the others are between 5-6000ft. I suppose I should just go out and check the few spots I've been eying and see what I can find. I just didn't want to be looking for something that wouldn't be in that type of area during this part of the season.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Never too early to get out and explore. Don't just look for animals. Look for tracks, game trails food sources...

The short answer is no

I don't believe you can over scout

Do what Breecher said

Don't bump animals

Topo maps are great starting point but nothing beats getting out there. Check out as much country as you can now and then stick to the a areas with the most sign.GOOD LUCK!

Just like everybody else has said, get out there and start by finding sign. Then find a high spot and glass to find the does. Later come back and find the does again, they will be in the same general area maybe a ridge away. What you are trying to do is always be able to locate the does every time you go out. That way you have them patterned. Don't worry about not seeing bucks. They will show up you just need to be there when they do.

Thanks for your responses guys. I needed to hear that you can never explore too much because all I'm thinking about is scouting. I made it out for a few hours today, but man is it hot out there lately! I was looking for possible water sources muleys might use, but realized I could use one too with it being so warm. When looking for sign it doesn't matter what time I do it, does it? I found good few oak tree clusters which could be a good source of acorns come fall but no water any where near there. I should just need to keep looking like everyone says and enjoy all the time spent outdoors. Thanks again to you guys for the replies, I'll put the advice to good use.

LP has written about "hunting with a camera". For me, that's been a great way to think about scouting. I'm gearing up to start scouting for 2014. Never too early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said.. I put in a fair bit of preseason scouting this year but it wasn't enough. Lessons learned for next year I guess, it never hurts to scout early. Saw a ton of does this season but no luck with the bucks. Ive just gotta hit it harder next year!

I'm thinking of giving deer hunting a shot this year for the first time. Ive already been out twice and found places they have come through. Obviously its really early, but I don't think its to early. Now I know places to keep an eye on through out the year, to see if they continue coming through. Not to thread jack but whats a good resource for learning deer behavior in the socal area? I've googled a lot but it all seems real general.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu