Electronic Ear Protection

Highly don’t recommend taking the route I did. But I wear behind the ear hearing sides made by Resound.
I can wear a face mask and it doesn’t effect the microphone like someone wrinkling up a chip bag. I usually just stuff foamies in with the small wire it doesn’t bother me. I get amplified sound (that’s really normal to most) and can increase the amplification a bit, but I also don’t blow out my ears any worse.
I advise all to protect your hearing, you can’t get it back and tinnitus is a royal bitch.

Reactions: skeet
Highly don’t recommend taking the route I did. But I wear behind the ear hearing sides made by Resound.
I can wear a face mask and it doesn’t effect the microphone like someone wrinkling up a chip bag. I usually just stuff foamies in with the small wire it doesn’t bother me. I get amplified sound (that’s really normal to most) and can increase the amplification a bit, but I also don’t blow out my ears any worse.
I advise all to protect your hearing, you can’t get it back and tinnitus is a royal bitch.
Yup, tinnitus sucks big time. ringing just about nonstop. Any remedies that you use to help calm them down?
My pops taught me well about hunting and fishing but he didn't teach me about protecting my hearing. I'm not making that mistake with my kids.

Yup, tinnitus sucks big time. ringing just about nonstop. Any remedies that you use to help calm them down?
My pops taught me well about hunting and fishing but he didn't teach me about protecting my hearing. I'm not making that mistake with my kids.
I did some trials with TMS, it’s basically shock therapy for other things I got going on. One of the side effects of TMS was I cured tinnitus.
I had to get off the treatment because I can’t stay stateside long enough to get treated.
If you’re a vet with tinnitus inquire about TMS.
Link for your attention:

Reactions: Smokey58
Was doing some research and found people saying you may be able to get an HSA/FSA to pay for custom ear protection if you get them through an audiologist, will book an appointment and report back

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
If you got the money, tetra hearing protection may be worth a try. Would like to hear a review from someone who has tried them.
If you’ve got some money - https://tetrahearing.com/

I probably shouldn't have read this thread, but I finally had some CustomShields made for me and I'm stoked with the purchase. A local audiologist took the impression (~$40) and turnaround time was between 1-2 months. I was able to wear it nonstop all day without any discomfort. It will take a while to experiment with the different noise enhancement modes (turkey/deer/elk/range/waterfowl/upland). The only downside I can think of is the change mode button on the side is a little flimsy, but the rest of the product feels durable and they provided free maintenance service when I was having issues with some audio feedback. The only ongoing expense I'll have to pay for are batteries which are pretty cheap ($1/ea). I didn't think it was worth the extra $500 and uncertain life expectancy of the rechargeable version.

Oh and I was able to pay for it with a FSA + holiday discount

Thinking of biting the bullet and ordering a pair of tetras. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thinking of biting the bullet and ordering a pair of tetras. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Buy the OTTO's. They are the real deal. Comfortable, no wind noise and work great while using guns with a brake. Charge lasts 18 - 20 hours.

Buy the OTTO's. They are the real deal. Comfortable, no wind noise and work great while using guns with a brake. Charge lasts 18 - 20 hours.

I was looking at those but saw multiple reviews that said they won’t hold a charge after a year or so. I was going to look if they make them that uses replaceable batteries vs rechargeable

I've had a pair of Walkers for two years now and they work fine. I've used them for hunting a couple of times but usually just use the ear plugs on the orange band.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu