First Duck Hunt

Prime

Nov 21, 2012
North County
My brothers and I went to South Dakota this weekend for some waterfowl hunting. We grew up pheasant and deer hunting in South Dakota, but had never duck hunted before anywhere. The first morning we went in blind as we arrived late the night before. One of my brothers managed to get 2 woodies, one being banded (2014 in Toto Indiana). Hundreds of teal gave us opportunities...but man was our aim BAD. Took a look at some public marshes that afternoon, but they were too deep to be able to retrieve anything without a boat. The next morning we setup where we started the day before, but moved down a little to where they were flying. First light lots of wood ducks flying and we got 3 of them, 1 Gadwall, 1 widgeon, 1 shoveler, and then the teal started flying. Got 9 of them bringing the morning count to 15 between the 3 of us. Last hunting day of the trip was slow, weather started to roll in and there wasn't much flying. Ended the morning with 2 widgeon, a green wing, woodie, and a merganser (we'll see how this tastes...). Pretty cool to hear the turkeys in the trees right behind where we were and had a small buck come 40 feet behind us, he had no idea we were there until we turned around. Didn't really see any mallards until the last morning and they were all flying high up headed south. Saw a few flocks of geese everyday but they were doing the same as the mallards.

.20181005_110145.jpg20181006_122346.jpg20181007_124116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a business trip flew in to South Dakota. It was February. Landed in a white out. Then drove into Minosota.
In a blizzard. Dumbass southern Californian.

Reactions: Moves
Excellent write up and report.
Good take.
How was the weather
Weather wasn't bad, high 40s during the day high 30s at night. Slight wind first two days. Third day it was low clouds, stronger winds and misting in the afternoon.

Those blizzards there can be bad, we were stuck in the house for 3 days several years back with candles and a generator. Power lines down all over the place.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Awesome.. nice mixed bag there. Woodies are cool.. merg is cool looking and should be interesting table fare lol. Careful, duck hunting is addictive...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end up being dog food after a couple bites into it. You aren't kidding, we're already hooked!

Did you clean that merganser? That should have made you choke a little...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu