Garmin Oregon 450

John_Gilmore

Feb 26, 2013
Looking at getting the Garmin Oregon 450 it runs about $300... Does anyone have any experience with this model or have any recommendations or suggestions for other GPS devices at about this price range? Also, it'll be my first GPS and my understanding is you have to buy other maps for them for hunting purposes. Any suggested maps for CA/AZ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a friend that uses that gps. He told me that he loves it and recomended I pick one up. You are right about downloading maps. I dont remember the website but I think you might be able to find free maps online somewhere. I'll try and ask him about it.
I haven't gotten one just because I'm holding out for one of the Garmin Rhinos but I've been holding out for a couple years and just using my phone because they're so expensive. Those oregons sound like a good buy for the price. Just make sure you can get topo and private maps for it.

fordfan1 said:
I have a friend that uses that gps. He told me that he loves it and recomended I pick one up. You are right about downloading maps. I dont remember the website but I think you might be able to find free maps online somewhere. I'll try and ask him about it.
I haven't gotten one just because I'm holding out for one of the Garmin Rhinos but I've been holding out for a couple years and just using my phone because they're so expensive. Those oregons sound like a good buy for the price. Just make sure you can get topo and private maps for it.

I'm not hunting with u untill u get a rino

Which Rino do you guys use? If I'm going to try to hunt with a lot of you guys once I move back, would that be the best option? What model?

SD I have a Rino take me hunting... John, yes I'm pretty sure a normal radio works but the benifit of two people having rinos is that your position will show up on the other person's screen. Please excuse my friend SD he is bitter because he's had a rino forever and no one will help him try out his fancy features ;D ;D

Haha so for the sake of my benefit, if I already own handheld 2-ways, cost wise... I'd be best off with just a normal gps and my handhelds.

In my opinion yes but you would be listening to someone who doesn't own one... Im sure if you owned one you would figure out all the little cool things that you had no idea it did before you bought it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu