Getting on some Deer.

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
So I'm 19 years old. I have been hunting both A22 and D16/G13 whichever I pull since I was 12 here in San Diego. I still have not taking one down. I hunt religiously (1-3 times a week). I've tried spotting and stalking, glassing, tree stands, hiding under random trees. You name I've done it and just can not get any success. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to help get myself a doe or buck this season before A22 closes. I work as an EMT here in San Diego so my schedule allows me to get out almost every other day.

Any tips, hints, ideas or thoughts?

Thank you so much.

First off thank you for service.
Find the sign and scat. And you will find the deer. Get off the beaten path. PM me I will be going out tomorrow morning only. With this weather they will come out after the rain.

Last edited:
I would start with finding tracks and scat. Scout by any means, as in glassing or setting up cameras. I don't use cameras cause I find more deer with my binos then any other way. If your not using a tripod ,get one asap. Since I started using one I can't tell you how many deer I will spot in the first few hours of light. It's by far one my "never go without " items in my pack. After using one I would rather turn around if I forget it. Which I never do.
And also when glassing don't set up glass for 30 min and leave. Give it at least an hour, and glass slow. Grid the mountains out in half of FOV. Another thing I would do is, if you find a canyon you like but don't see anything the first time don't give up. Try it a few times from different position of the canyon. Maybe one of the angels will give something up that you'll like.
Hope this helps.

How much time for real in a tree stand?

This year I've spent more time spotting and stalking. But last year I spent all my time in stands. Just as much as I've spent this year out hiking around.
Let the glass do the walking during general rifle. As for bow hunting I'll sit back and listen to some of these guys on here. I don't know squat about bow hunting myself. It was my first year and I had some shot opportunities but passed to let my buddy get a chance. I'm a sponge so comment away boys about bow hunting lol.
The way I rifle hunt though, is climb high and glass as much as possible. First light is scanning the open areas and by mid morning is detail time through 2/3 pm. They tend to move short distances during the middle of the day. Than evenings till dark are glassing know areas of travel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu