glassing in wooded areas

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Hey all,
After reading with great interest the advice on glassing when rifle hunting for Muleys (see recent thread "how are you guys seeing so many deer"), I decided to take along my Leupold 12x50 Mojaves on my recent trip to VA just to practice, even though we'd be mostly hunting heavily wooded areas with shots generally no more than 150 yards through the trees.
What really surprised me was how helpful the binocs were for viewing through the trees. Viewed with the naked eye, the woods just looked like a jumble of sticks to me. But with the binocs I could sift through at various depths of focus, eliminating the foreground and background distractions because of the shortened depth of focus viewed through the binocs. That was a real revelation because before that I'd assumed that the binocs were good mainly for bringing things closer by magnifying them.
I figure it will help sifting through heavier thickets out here as well.
Thoughts?

Yep - binos can turn a bush with stick into a bush with antlers. Remember you are always looking for pieces of a deer. That is where most folks learning how to hunt big game fail. they look for a whole animal. Or look at an area without on not scan back over a few more times.

It's not just looking if that makes sense. Kinda like waiting for rocks to move. It's something u learn just by doing it. I'm still learning lol

I have 0 experience in thick areas

Two Bear said:
When glassing timber I always look for horizontal lines contrasting the vertical trees. I pay close attention to dark shady areas as humans we have a tendency to look into open areas. As non-humans animals have a tendency not be in open areas;)

Excellent advise!

Keep in mind that one will rarely see a whole deer, Become familiar with what an ear or tail or piece of an antler sticking out looks like! The big bucks are big for a reason! We've just got to find an edge and that's what glasses help with, gettin that edge!

Amen brothers, I notice with age, it is getting harder to see LOl. :p
I will be needing the biggest binos I can buy. & a spotting scope.
and the biggest scopes for my rifles. ;D

I notice in my hikes during my boring hunting videos. I am moving too fast. :-[

All good advice!

You need to walk slower than the deer to see them before they see you.

The book by Jim Van Norman and Tom Carpenter that NBK recommended is really worth it's weight in gold. I'll be reciting "FERAL" while I scout this weekend ;). I ordered a Bushnell spotting scope from John at FF. Great price, just hoping the contrast is good enough at 20x looking into a shaded hillside. If not, they have a moneyback guarantee and I can upgrade to the Leupold GR B&C 20-60x80. Will report back when it arrives next week. My Leupold Mojave 12x50 binocs have me pretty spoiled for my existing Bushnell glass, but I thought for the price the Bushnell spotter would be worth a try. It's rugged and portable, which is good for someone who "goes light and long" as Wackum puts it.

Sent via Tapatalk

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos.html

Great prices on demos w/full warranty no sales tax

I have an old Bushnell 7 x 35 that I have had for 3 decades. I was messing a round and I dropped the dam thing on the concrete floor at work.
was thumping my forehead on that one. it was just nostalgic. & the binos where old school & very clear.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu