Good available youth hunts???

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
My kid will be 12 this June, so he can start hunting big game here in CA with me (Yeah!). This is my first time though looking through the books for information on youth hunts/tags that are offered. I could just let him apply for a G-13 tag, then buy a D-16 so he can shoot either deer during the season. However, I was wondering if there are any other hunt within a decent distance from San Diego that have good draw odds, success, etc. Anyone have recent experience with it that they'd like to share? I wish we were a little closer to areas that offered better hunting, like Pig, Antelope, etc., but need to live with what I have I guess......

Anyway, Thanks for any info anyone has......

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
He can and should apply for the great youth hunts (J) and a premium tag like an X zone assuming you don't mind an easy drive. Kids can apply separately for both. He'll at least get a preference point and the D16. J12 is the golden ticket but there are easier to get hunts with much better odds than a D zone, many are either sex.
I would take advantage of the AZ opportunities for deer and cow elk. You missed the elk this year, but not deer. My son drew an elk tag on his first try. Tags and license costs are nothing. Probably the only hunt I've ever been on where the meat value was greater than the expenses.

I second the AZ youth hunts. I put my boys in for deer and elk as well and they can start hunting there at 10. Well worth the drive and it is just as close to San Diego as the x zone hunts.

Putting my boy in for AZ hunts as well. He also turns 12 in June. Not sure if I’ll put him in for G13 to whack a doe or get a point... I like mud pigeon’s advice of getting a point and getting a D16 tag... & then get a great youth buck in the future.

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. I do like the sound of getting the point and taking a D16. As for the out of state stuff, that probably would need to wait a year or 2, but something to think about. He's already got a turkey before ,e. and his only deer is bigger weight wise than I've ever shot, so I don't know if I want him getting an elk before me too...... LOL

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. I do like the sound of getting the point and taking a D16. As for the out of state stuff, that probably would need to wait a year or 2, but something to think about. He's already got a turkey before ,e. and his only deer is bigger weight wise than I've ever shot, so I don't know if I want him getting an elk before me too...... LOL
HA HA HA you have to watch that DAD. As we take are kids out for deer and turkeys, when they get the first or bigger ones they will never let us live it down.FYI my first turkey beat hers by 1 ounce.:)

HA HA HA you have to watch that DAD. As we take are kids out for deer and turkeys, when they get the first or bigger ones they will never let us live it down.FYI my first turkey beat hers by 1 ounce.:)

I can only hope to beat his turkey by an ounce, since his was 21 pounds, which would make mine a nice one...... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu