Got reminded this morning on how difficult hunting a coyote can be

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
At the end of my street is open, natural terrain that extends into the Cleveland National Forest and I see coyotes and quail all the time while exploring with my sons.

This morning taking my boy to school there was a coyote in the field at the end of my street. We stopped for a second to check him out and my kid did his best impression of a dying rabbit with his mouth, pretty funny actually.

What really opened my eyes was 100 yards down the street when stopped at an intersection it did a disappearing act. I paused at the stop sign until I could see the darn thing again and it hadn't moved. It's coat matched so perfect with the color of the dirt and dried grass it was amazing. If I didn't know there was a coyote standing out in that open field I probably would have never seen it unless there was movement.

Made me wonder how many times I have sat around blowing my call thinking to myself where are the damn coyotes. On many occasions I'll wager I had them standing out there in front of me and didn't know it. Just one of those things that made me excited because they are out there probably much more that we think.

They do blend in well. Unfortunately for me, I'm color blind, so it makes my stands that much harder. All browns and grays to me. I just need to start hunting them in the snow!

What about a pair of these. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Optics-USA-Thermal-Binocular/dp/B000URBQ6K

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu