GPS for Iphone

I use the Trimble Pro GPS Hunt, it used to be the cabelas gps app, I like it 15 bucks for one year and it shows u all private and public boundaries including state, blm, nat forrest, and indian res, I hunt a lot of areas that borderline private so its really nice.

brice s said:
I use the Trimble Pro GPS Hunt, it used to be the cabelas gps app, I like it 15 bucks for one year and it shows u all private and public boundaries including state, blm, nat forrest, and indian res, I hunt a lot of areas that borderline private so its really nice.
I downloaded that one but didn't want to pay for it cause the reviews weren't to good. Does it work if your not on 3g? a lot of the reviews said its not very good once your not on the internet.

Yeah, the apps only work where you have service. I always used map and compass only for nav, till I started hunting here. A few yards one way or another make a big difference. I got the Garmin 62s, which has an expandable memory slot. I bought the CA chip from Hunter GPS which added great value and keeps me legal.

Sent via Tapatalk

I use the Trimble app and love it. I just download the maps to my hunt units before I go and use them without service. That's all I used in Nevada actually, but I recommend having paper maps as well. Can't be too safe.

Great discussion. Being able to download the map and use it offline is a nice idea/feature, though it won't tell u your exact location relative to a boundary.

Sent via Tapatalk

Just a FYI

google earth and your map app both cash map pages. So while you have good 3/4g service view all the areas you want to hunt in. zoom in so you get the good detail and then close the app. This will cash or store the images for later use. On some phones you can adjust the cash size so you can have more. By default the iphone can store a lot

When in the hunting area with out cell service your phone will use the magic of GPS and your map/google earth app's will function with amazing accuracy. It will load the cashed map images and be just like you were in town with 4 bars :)

The iphone unless this has changed needs to be in normal mode to receive the GPS signals and lock your position. Andropid phones can be put into airplane mode and still receive the GPS signals. Why does this matter? Well when you are way out in no man's land your phone eats up the batteries fast when it cant find or has a weak signal. So if you have a android try putting it into airplane mode and it will increase your time a LOT! There are hacks for the iphone that let you shut off everything but the GPS receiver but ill save that for another day

In 2013 if you get lost anywhere on the planet its your own damn fault.......

CV-Young buck said:
brice s said:
I downloaded that one but didn't want to pay for it cause the reviews weren't to good. Does it work if your not on 3g? a lot of the reviews said its not very good once your not on the internet.
I hunt pretty far in and in almost every spot i hunt i can use it, for $15 bucks its well worth it in my opinion

I just searched Trimble in the App Store. Downloaded the free version, which has not been rated but looks the sane as the pro version ($4.99). The upgrade to elite looks like it costs $29.99. I didn't see a $15 version of the upgrade so wondering what the comparison is.
???

Sent via Tapatalk

$4.99 for the pro version of the app. $9.99 for a yearlong public land map subscription. $29.99 for a yearlong elite membership subscription which gives you the ability to cache maps of areas you are hunting that are out of cell service.

Super. thanks Josh. Looks really interesting, and I may try Trimble to compare to the Garmin. It's nice to see the capabilities of smartphones used like this. If nothing else, it's one less thing (GPS) to carry. One more reason to visit SCH's forum before buying anything!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu