Grinding Meat

Re: Ginding Meat

Hey dude. I have never made sausage, but want to. I recommended a website a week ago, this guy Hank Shaw is a former chef who now concentrates on hunting, fishing, and cooking wild foods.

For fresh sausage looks like he consistently recommends 1 lb of fat to every 4 lb of meat. check out this link:
http://honest-food.net/cured-meat/fresh-sausages/

For ground it depends what you want to make. Beef burgers are best (I think) with 20-30% fat. That makes it's easy to calculate. If you use 1 lb meat add 3-5 oz of fat. Meatballs, meatloaf, or chili I would think you don't need nearly as much since you can add fat while you cook.

When we do elk burger we add 10% fat...

wheels said:
I am going to be adding some fat to my pork. Does anyone have any recommendations one how much to add per pound?

Should I add it to all of my links and ground meats?

When I used to make it I added about 25% to deer meat . Call Jim a call with Country Smokehouse 619 249 9631 he is the best, I am sure he will help you. Most deer and elk have a low fat content and I would add some fat, do not add beef fat. Sherpa

Where are you buying your fat at? A regular grocery store or a Meat market? Just bought myself a manual grinder and will be making a try at some sausages.

Well that was an all day project. I am done cleaning the kitchen before the wife gets home. I had quite a learning curve on the links. I added the fat to everything that I ground and I got it from Albertsons.

The links were a pain until Randomshot helped me pull my head out. I was making them 6 feet long and wondering why I couldn't make then the entire length without then ripping. Duuuuu I guess it is better to do 6 inches at a time LOL..

I made brats, Some are patties and links, Hot italian links and ground. and Maple breakfast links and ground

We had some of the brats and maple tonight and it is outstanding. All from Giant Sequoia Trip

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu