Heartbreak in A Zone

Drewski2324 said:
Well I spent every daylight hour looking for him today. Nothing. No blood, no birds nothing that would indicate he went down somewhere. I can't shake the replay out of my head! I shot my bow until 12:30 last night. Definitely switched to my fixed blades until I can do some more research on those short range shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed blade is the way to go. You don't have to worry if your broadhead will deploy or not. Or reflect off at a quartering shot. Always 100% penetration.
You will have another chance at a buck. Plus we have A-32 left, you'll get one.

It is possible that you hit between the lungs and the spine, if so your broad head can get through without hitting anything vital. Keep your head up and good luck!

TaftHunter said:
Drewski2324 said:
Well I spent every daylight hour looking for him today. Nothing. No blood, no birds nothing that would indicate he went down somewhere. I can't shake the replay out of my head! I shot my bow until 12:30 last night. Definitely switched to my fixed blades until I can do some more research on those short range shots.

Fixed blade is the way to go. You don't have to worry if your broadhead will deploy or not. Or reflect off at a quartering shot. Always 100% penetration.
You will have another chance at a buck. Plus we have A-32 left, you'll get one.

I think your right. The past day or so I have been obsessed with penetration. Thinking about switching over to the easton full metal jacket's and going a little on the heavier side just for insurance purposes.

gteam said:
It is possible that you hit between the lungs and the spine, if so your broad head can get through without hitting anything vital. Keep your head up and good luck!

That must be what happened. I'm not sure if he caught my movement or what but I do feel like he jumped the string a little also. I wish I would have had a camera rolling or something.

tomah said:
sorry to hear about the tough hunt. which pin did you use to shoot? usually the 20yd pin is good enough for 10yds too
Same here. I use the 30 yd pin for under 10 though.

Think I should have used my 30 also. I used my 20. Either way I think I shot high. I don't have anything else to blame! I am headed to Idaho in a couple weeks so hopefully I get some redemption.

If you were high with your 20yd pin, using your 30 yd pin would have sent you even higher. Anyway you'll get him next time. Have fun in Idaho and put this behind you.

In truth you need to use your 40-30 yd pin the arrow when it leaves your bow it goes down first then it goes up.

So practice those close shots you'll see

Bonejour said:
If you were high with your 20yd pin, using your 30 yd pin would have sent you even higher. Anyway you'll get him next time. Have fun in Idaho and put this behind you.

Ya, your right. I wasn't thinking straight. Anything less than 20 you have to compensate for the arc. Albeit not very much arc.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu