Heavy arrow build

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Thinking of changing arrow setup to build a heavier gram weight and higher FOC.

Currently looking at Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 300 spines. 125g or 150g Stinger Killer Bee 2 blades. 100g brass or stainless steal static insert. Fletched & knocked shafts should be right around 290g.

That still doesn’t get me too far into the 500g class. The only other option I can think of is a 200g broadhead and or FACT insert option to get into The ‘adult arrow’ class as ranch fairy describes it.

Anyone have suggestions or experience? Bow is currently at 60lbs and I can add more if needed.

Last edited:
Why? Unless you're hunting bigger animals I'd be more focused on shooting and accuracy. I've been shooting a 400 grain setup for years.... pass throughs on elk, muskox, caribou... my 2 cents. Ed F

Clarson757,

I did the whole fairy duster thing and explored a lot of options all the way up to 650 grain momentum grizzly arrows.

I ended up at 531 total grain with the victory archery vap SS (150 grain single bevel broadhead), i'm pretty happy with my set up (still need to kill something) but I feel confident with where I netted out.

IMO, it all depends on what you are solving for:
  • my old setup was fine at 456 grains, but they did not do well with fixed blades (no matter what I did to tune it), and so i bareshaft tuned it and it suggested that the spine was too weak.
    • I had mechanicals fail to open, and just didn't want to mess with those anymore so that's why I moved to fixed blades. (more dependable and I feel confident I can bust through small branches or bush with this)
  • When I tried the 650 grain setup, it was everything the ranch fairy and dr. ashby talk about but I didn't like the fast arrow drop
    • I don't hunt from a stand, shoot longer than 20 yards and distances are often quickly measured and then acted on. With the heavy arrow the drop was so significant that I felt like I didn't have any room for error.
    • The setup I ended up with shoots flatter and the drop was manageable, I like the added strength from the SS weave, the super small diameter, and FOC is good and all help with arrow flight
    • Based on the ranch fairy test, my bow likes to shoot 600-675 grain w/ bareshaft 250 spine arrows but, with my current setup it shoots straight, field points and broadheads fly straight to 40 (haven't tried longer distance yet)
I definitely went down a rabbit whole with this heavy arrow concept and learned alot about my form, arrow tuning (Amazing how important nock tuning is), and understanding the pros and cons.

Happy to chat if you have more questions,

Reactions: CLarson757
Clarson757,

I did the whole fairy duster thing and explored a lot of options all the way up to 650 grain momentum grizzly arrows.

I ended up at 531 total grain with the victory archery vap SS (150 grain single bevel broadhead), i'm pretty happy with my set up (still need to kill something) but I feel confident with where I netted out.

IMO, it all depends on what you are solving for:
  • my old setup was fine at 456 grains, but they did not do well with fixed blades (no matter what I did to tune it), and so i bareshaft tuned it and it suggested that the spine was too weak.
    • I had mechanicals fail to open, and just didn't want to mess with those anymore so that's why I moved to fixed blades. (more dependable and I feel confident I can bust through small branches or bush with this)
  • When I tried the 650 grain setup, it was everything the ranch fairy and dr. ashby talk about but I didn't like the fast arrow drop
    • I don't hunt from a stand, shoot longer than 20 yards and distances are often quickly measured and then acted on. With the heavy arrow the drop was so significant that I felt like I didn't have any room for error.
    • The setup I ended up with shoots flatter and the drop was manageable, I like the added strength from the SS weave, the super small diameter, and FOC is good and all help with arrow flight
    • Based on the ranch fairy test, my bow likes to shoot 600-675 grain w/ bareshaft 250 spine arrows but, with my current setup it shoots straight, field points and broadheads fly straight to 40 (haven't tried longer distance yet)
I definitely went down a rabbit whole with this heavy arrow concept and learned alot about my form, arrow tuning (Amazing how important nock tuning is), and understanding the pros and cons.

Happy to chat if you have more questions,

Thanks for the info. I’m getting the test kit today and will be playing around with my 340 spines. My rage heads are always flopping open and I want to avoid problems with that in the field. I’m also more interested in penetration and pass through on bone. I’ll be hunting from a stand for the foreseeable future and the lanes are 20 yards for my setup this season.

I have 400 spines that are super fast and accurate. Given the information and research ranch fairy has done, it only seems to make sense to tune the arrows to the bow with the best grain weight you can shoot.

Once my fact weights come I'll update you on my findings. I’m interested in the 15 yard zero on my 20y pin also. Makes sense from an elevation standpoint within 20 yards.

Why? Unless you're hunting bigger animals I'd be more focused on shooting and accuracy. I've been shooting a 400 grain setup for years.... pass throughs on elk, muskox, caribou... my 2 cents. Ed F

Not to say that my 400s won’t work either. Just seems like something Important to consider. Why not have more weight if your bow can shoot it accurately?

Thanks for the info. I’m getting the test kit today and will be playing around with my 340 spines. My rage heads are always flopping open and I want to avoid problems with that in the field. I’m also more interested in penetration and pass through on bone. I’ll be hunting from a stand for the foreseeable future and the lanes are 20 yards for my setup this season.

I have 400 spines that are super fast and accurate. Given the information and research ranch fairy has done, it only seems to make sense to tune the arrows to the bow with the best grain weight you can shoot.

Once my fact weights come I'll update you on my findings. I’m interested in the 15 yard zero on my 20y pin also. Makes sense from an elevation standpoint within 20 yards.

Cool. out of curiosity, what's your draw length and poundage?

Reactions: CLarson757

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu