Hello Everyone

Screwtape52

Jan 27, 2013
Orange County
Hello,

I have always been fascinated with hunting. I was in the Marine Corps for eight years and I spent a lot of time with guys that had been hunting their whole life. I would love to start hunting on my own but I don't have the knowledge. I have been formerly taught how to hunt man but not animals, lol. My parents recently moved up to the San Luis Obispo area and I have started to varmint hunt on their land (ground squirrels). It has been awesome but I want to get into upland birds and pigs. Eventually I would like to get into deer and some of the other big game. My friends from the Corps have invited me to go on bear hunts in Colorado and deer hunts in Missouri but I am married with a two year old so that idea is quickly nixed. I would love to learn any knowledge anyone is willing to dish out and would love to find some places to hunt in Southern California so I don't have to go to Central California to shoot squirrels. I currently own 3 Mossberg 500's, a mini-14, a Lee Enfield, a Harrington and Richardson Model 765 Pioneer, Smith and Wesson 457, a Ruger LCP, and a Glock 17. Thanks for the great site and hopefully I get to hunt with some of you. Oh yeah, I live in Orange County.

Jeff

First thank you for your service. Second welcome to SCH. Sounds like you have a great start and some super cool invites. Most of the seasons are done for this years hunt, you can still hunt Coyotes and Jack rabbits.

Thanks for your service.
If I were you I'd put in for the G-10 hunt next year. It's a military only either sex deer hunt at Camp Pendleton. It would be a great start for you. Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the website Jeff. You have come to the right place...

Thanks for serving!

Thanks guys for replying. Taft I have been reading about your SEVERAL predator kills. Anyone want to volunteer letting me tag along on a Coyote hunt? My parents get packs coming up to the edge of their property, but they have not done it when I have been up their... or they would be dead. I am going back to their place in mid February and I am going to try to get one in the back pasture. I think the mini-14 or my dad's 17HMR would be the best bet. My dad might not let me use the mini-14 because he gets spooked about the neighbors freaking out. Thanks again guys.

I am not currently in the Corps. I got out in 2011. I spent days and days in the hills of Pendleton. I saw a few deer but nothing too exciting. I saw a few mountain lions and a top of coyotes though. They also have a large herd of Buffalo but those are off limits. I wish I would of got into hunting when I was still in. A couple of buddies of mine took deer on Pendleton with their bows.

Jeff

hey Jeff, welcome aboard and again, thank you for your service to this great land. If your parents are in SLO, there is some fun pig hunting up there. You can also look into Fort Hunter Liggett. Its a little work to get on, but there are pig, elk, (don't get your hopes up though) deer, turkey, etc. I live just over the hill from you in Murrieta, I hunt CNF for upland but as most pointed out seasons are over. Also, have a friend stationed at Pendleton and he was saying there was good numbers of quail out there. Otherwise, let me offer this, take it easy. It can get overwhelming; tags and zones all the different start and end dates,northern cal vs southern cal. And if you haven't done so yet, work on your license. That will be step one.

Outdoordave,

In regards to the licensing, should I wait until the next season starts or get one for the spring? I don't know if it is worth me getting one, because don't they start over in June?

Thanks,

Jeff

June 30th is when the Ca. Hunting License expires. You can hunt all the way through - pigs, varmint, predators, turkey etc.

Get out there and get er' done!

So I have a trip planned to my parents ranch on the 9th. Hopefully I can get some varmints/predators. I will post pics if I do. Thanks again for the help guys.

You're service is much appreciated.

Just be sure that when you're hunting predators, if you see a bobcat, have a tag on you. Other than that, smack every coyote you see. That Mini-14 is perfect for the song dogs. Just tell your dad the neighbors will appreciate more "pet" deer later in the year!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu