Help I need info

Co elkguide

Oct 2, 2013
Hello to everyone, hope you are having some luck. I just moved out here to San Diego area from co and I am in need of some info about public land and hunting out here, I live in the mountains of colo my whole life guided elk, deer, moose, bear, antelope, bighorn sheep, and predator hunt every fall for the last 23 years and I am dying to get out!! Where do I get maps for the forest, blm, and any other public areas? Thanks

Elk Guide

welcome to california. not to let you down but the hunting here will be harder, & tougher. less open country than there use to be. but the DFW (dept of Fish & wildlife) has been buying back some private property areas & changing to NF.
every thing in the map that is green is NF. all those areas are open to Hunt.
Southern California is being developed so space has been limited to the NF. of course everyone has their Honey holes & they guard them preciously.
so the best bet is to befriend someone here. he or she will take you under their wing to show the good spots.

Good Luck

Thanks guys I'm going to head down to alpine and gather down maps and see if the places I've seen some game are public and if the open space area behind my house is open to bow hunting cause I have a decent back back here

Nice.. I grew up in Poway. There was always plenty of deer hanging out east of Garden Rd and in the Blue Sky Preserve. Too bad they're off limits.. Or so they say. Not recommending a bow hunt within city limits or anything...

Well that's the question I have. I can soot my bow in my backyard without problems and thee is a canyon right behind the house that has good deer so is it a gray area if I hunt the canyon it's not posted any where and I can't find any maps saying no.

I wouldn't do it bud. All it takes is one wounded deer running into a non hunters yard and you're screwed...

Btw I'm a Park Ranger in Poway. ;)

Thank you that's what i needed to know. By no means is any animal ever worth getting in trouble over or causing any issue. Would love to be able to pic your brain some about what's available around Poway

Lungpopper thanks I am just trying to familiarize myself with what's legal here in Cali and what's not co and especially the places I've hunted in Texas it's pretty easy to understand all the info. Out here I have trouble figuring out what's ok and what's not is there a good web site that explains it? I've looked at the hunting brochures and on line and the way they are put together confuse me thanks to everyone for the info

Trust me, there are some bruisers in Poway. Every night I see at least two bucks that would be #1 in the contest. It's tempting but not worth it. :-\ Shoot me a pm and we can talk more bud!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu