Hi guys I'm new to predator hunting and just had a few ?'s

a_gonzalez

Nov 5, 2012
Perris
Well first off I'll be hunting el cajon pass area off cleghorn rd I was just wondering what calls would work best, what time of year is best, and any other essential equipment besides camo, and a rifle, that i should look into getting. I hunted this area for deer when the season was open and was there almost every weekend but no luck. I did hear a lot of coyotes at night and saw one but shot a few inches high and missed :mad:. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Probably the most important piece of equipment would be your camo. You really need to blend in. One of our varmint club members has a kill suit he got from AllPredatorCalls.com. We were out a few weeks ago and he settled into the side of a hill covered with dirt and small brush about 100 feet away. I knew exactly where he was but couldn't see him until he stood up at the end of the calling session. This will be my next purchase. As far as calls go, start with good quality jackrabbit and cottontail calls from a known manufacturer. Closed reed calls are easier to master. Open reed calls are more difficult to master and use, but are more versatile. Get a closed reed call for starters. You will keep and use it for years. I started with a Circe cottontail call back in the 50's and still use one today. My jackrabbit call is a Dan Thompson, but there are many other manufacturers of good calls, such as Knight & Hale, Primos and Predator Quest, just to name a few. Do some online research and read the reviews. If you move up to an electronic call, I highly recommend FOXPRO calls. Get one with the "FoxBang" feature. That automatically switches your caller from whatever sound you are playing to another call, usually the coyote pup distress, as soon as you shoot. I would strongly suggest you look for a local predator club in your area and join it. Look at http://www.californiavarmintcallers.com/chapters.htm to find one. Good hunting.

Thank all of you guys for taking the time to help a newbie. I was thinking of getting the Primos Double Cottontail and maybe a decoy like Mojo Critter what do you guys think of that set up? Thanks for the links White Smoke I like what I see from both the camo and the hunting club.

The mojo critter is a great decoy. I made some extension pieces for mine with 1/4" X 20TPI allthread. This allows you to place the decoy further off of the ground. Using a blown call always play the wind and don't call continuously. Let the decoy do its job and bring the critters in once they are in sight. Oh yeah welcome to the site.

Ok I'm still deciding on what decoy to get between the two mentioned but I should be going out this weekend for my first official coyote hunt :D and I'll see what happens. Thanks again guys and I'm really glad I found this website.

Foxpro Skyote mouth call, great for getting started, ive called almost 30 coyotes with it and ive only had it a year and a half or so. Another great call is one of the ruffi dawgs. Try to call from around the middle of a hill, and try to sit in front of a bush. Goodluck :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu