High Desert Jackrabbit short hunt

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
I arrived at 6:00am Saturday morning where I met SteveO for an early morning hunt.We started out the morning with a quick sight in of our rifles.

I was using my trusted newly rebuilt .22 Marauder while SteveO had his new Crosman NP2.The morning was a bit cool with no wind that is rare in this part of the desert.We both set out heading East hoping to catch some amber ears.I had soon spotted a fairly large jackrabbit running through the grass at several hundred yards,well beyond our range limits.The grass was tall with scattered patches of yellow flowers,areas I had expected to see jackrabbits foraging.

After walking slowly for about an hour I had spotted a Jackrabbit under a Joshua Tree at some distance away being careful as I moved in close to 45yrds.All I had to aim for was the eyes as his ears were swept back and his still body obscured from the grass.

We both had a nice short hunt and some good exploration of areas for the future.I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for Jackrabbit hunting. 8)
Hope to have some more to share soon!

Been wanting to get out there myself. need to get my step-son into a hunters ed class. He's seems to be the only one of my kids who shows interest in hunting with me.

s14slide said:
Been wanting to get out there myself. need to get my step-son into a hunters ed class. He's seems to be the only one of my kids who shows interest in hunting with me.
Get him into it,Jackrabbit hunting is a ton of fun for a youngster. One of my hunting buddies is actually a 10yo and one of the best shots I've ever seen. So cool to see the lights go on and excitement other than video games. :D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu