Hitting your target.

Handgun

Jun 28, 2014
Imperial Valley
Seems there's lots of threads about hunting...how about one on shooting and hitting what you're hunting? I'll post up some of what I've been learning. Too many postings going on at once. I'd be out hunting coyotes this evening but...I've worn myself out!

"Sight alignment is correct when the tip of the front sight post is perfectly centered, both horizontally and vertically, within the rear sight aperture, SIR!"

B W E said:
"Sight alignment is correct when the tip of the front sight post is perfectly centered, both horizontally and vertically, within the rear sight aperture, SIR!"
:)

I must've had to say that about a thousand times.

It all boiled down to practice. Practice, practice, practice. More importantly, practice how you will be shooting in the field. There is no bench. Practice prone, sitting, kneeling, with shooting sticks, and offhand.

When I am shooting my .308 precision rifle and I have to go to my target, I walk very slowly, trying to not get my heart rate elevated. However, to practice for shooting a deer, I would say jog out there, and jog back. Shoot kneeling, or some other equally uncomfortable position, and learn to get very good at that. Learn to control your breathing, which will slow your heart rate, and learn to shoot between heartbeats.

Also, a deer is not a stationary steel plate standing out there waiting to be hit. It will move. So, take all the stuff above, and cram it into a pattern or rhythm of "1,2,BAM", which starts as soon as the deer presents a good shot and you have your crosshairs on it. Learning to get a GOOD, ACCURATE shot off QUICK will hopefully avoid watching the thing run away.

DON'T MISS IT WILL HAUNT YOUR DREAM

that is not a lie I missed a big deer a few years back and I still think about it. More then My x girls lol

I want to be able to poke holes in coyotes at a known 440 yards. Current limit is 200ish with my 223 Savage and the cheap scope that came on it. Lots of parallax at 200 plus. Probably will go to my 16" .260, need to get a scope for it, how would you guys go about ranging and targeting? Zero at??? Judge holdover by???

I was just at FF talking to NBK, leaning towards a Leupold with CDS dials.

I recently put my custom turret on and it works. I bought the CDS scope three years ago and spent a lot of time experimenting with the the turrets and iStrelok. I ordered the custom turret with the zero stop and that will limit how far you can dial up. For my set up it's 670 yards on a level plane and 100 yard zero. Changes with elevation

First you will need a range finder that will range coyote size animals that far out.Then for coyotes you need a rifle that groups .600 or under at 100 yards to get 2.5 inch groups at 440 yards. You will need to chronograph your loads for the speed and know the BC of the bullet. I use iStrelok but there are other calculators out there.
10 power will work but if you can go with a higher magnification it will make the work a little easier.
Then practice practice practice.

I have been practicing with the bow at least three times a week! I need to hit the trap/skeet range too. To me practice is the most important part of hunting.

msailor said:
I have been practicing with the bow at least three times a week! I need to hit the trap/skeet range too. To me practice is the most important part of hunting.
Why shoot skeet and trap when you can go shoot euros and pigeons? Waste of time IMO can't eat clay targets

D16hunter said:
msailor said:
Why shoot skeet and trap when you can go shoot euros and pigeons? Waste of time IMO can't eat clay targets

Clays don't cost 70 bucks in gas

Sdbirds said:
D16hunter said:
msailor said:

Clays don't cost 70 bucks in gas
True I like to shoot clays but I'd take dove hunting over shooting clays everyday

Lungpopper said:
I recently put my custom turret on and it works. I bought the CDS scope three years ago and spent a lot of time experimenting with the the turrets and iStrelok. I ordered the custom turret with the zero stop and that will limit how far you can dial up. For my set up it's 670 yards on a level plane and 100 yard zero. Changes with elevation

First you will need a range finder that will range coyote size animals that far out.Then for coyotes you need a rifle that groups .600 or under at 100 yards to get 2.5 inch groups at 440 yards. You will need to chronograph your loads for the speed and know the BC of the bullet. I use iStrelok but there are other calculators out there.
10 power will work but if you can go with a higher magnification it will make the work a little easier.
Then practice practice practice.

Awesome, thanks. I get the practice under stress. It's one thing to stand there and shoot groups with a pistol and entirely another to do it against the clock on moving targets whilst having to move and reload.

Y'all think my 16" tapered pencil barrel M77 will dish out the accuracy?

Much cheaper to shoot clays but would love to be able to get away to IV and practice on the real thing and get a meat bonus too! ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu