Hornady Lock 'n' Load Question

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Alright so here it is. I've finally got all my reloading components and am at the starting line to start turning out target rounds for my .30-06. I decided to go with the 168gr Sierra Match King BTHP. Looked around a lot and for what I'm looking for out of this particular rifle, SMK seemed like an easy choice.

I went with CCI primers, and Accurate 4350 powder. Not my first choice of powder, but it was available, had decent reviews, and will do the job. And yes, I've got reloading data for it.

Last but not least, I invested in the Hornady Lock 'n' Load tool to help with fine tuning. Which brings me to my question. Following the instructions on the tool, I came up with an COAL of 3.15" from rim to bullet tip. I checked, double checked, and rechecked and came up with the same length, time after time. But when I look at the load date provided by Accurate (and then compared that to a similar bullet made by Speer) I got a COAL of 3.285. Am I missing something or is my chamber just that much smaller than the rifles tested and published?

I only loaded one and backed it off the lands .003" and got an COAL of 3.12". Wanted to see what you guys thought before I loaded a whole batch.

Thanks fellas.

Use a lock n load myself, I don't think you missed anything, if that's what the lock n load is telling I'd work with it. The ogive of the bullet may be contoured in a way that's giving you this data. Most of the time I find the chambers in production rifles have a long freebore and the magazine length is not long enough to let me seat the bullets out as far as I would like. Just for giggles you might try a few other bullets you have to see if you get a different coal, that may answer the question about why you are coming up with the length you mentioned.

If you are referring to the Lock n Load OAL gauge (which is actually a Stoney Point Product) they work great. I use one as well. The OAL or COAL in the books is just a general spec. Chambers all vary.

Good luck and hope you get small groups. Match Kings rock!

Thanks fellas. Looking like I'll have yet another four-day weekend so hopefully I'll be able to pump out a few test batch and find out what works the best.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu