How difficult is rifle and shotgun shopping right now?

Mossberg 500 and a 10/22. I don’t think there is a gun more fun to shoot than a 10/22. If you want to get comfortable shooting pick up a pellet gun and shoot it in your yard. Not much difference in practice between a pellet gun and a 22.

the 870 Is a phenomenal shotgun but now that Remington has been sold off I don’t know how their quality will be. I can tell you from many years of shooting a Mossberg 500 they are nearly impossible to break. If my poor gun could tell stories

I second the Mossberg 500..picked up a used combo 2 years ago from fine firearms in La Mesa for around $400 and haven't felt the need to upgrade or switch to a semi auto yet.

Also I heard that it is good to practice shooting a 10/22 or .17HMR over and over so you get comfortable pulling the trigger..people who don't spend enough time shooting tend to jump the trigger because they are anticipating the recoil of the larger caliber rifles and pull their shots.

P2K in El cajon has a shotgun range and will rent you a shotgun to use on there clay range. It may be worth while for you to try a pump and semi-auto to compare. Stoegers are tempting for the price but, I would stay away from them. They are a crap shoot on quality, and many have jamming issues. I would do a Mossberg 930 for that price range. For under $1k, I would look at the Winchester SX4 or the Franchi for a semi auto. You could also look at the Benelli M2 and Beretta A300. Both of the pumps you mentioned will last a lifetime. If you shoot left handed, spend the extra money for a left hand gun. Matte and camo colors are better than shiny blued guns.

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I'm going to research some potential choices for 2-3 more weeks and then ideally take up ilovesprig on his offer to meet up at Turner's, and also start browsing the other shops as well. I really appreciate the offer to help! I think I'll also register for the Escondido NRA shotgun shooting course, I was told I could try out a few different types of shotguns during that course to help decide what I like. It isn't until March though so I may just go ahead and get something sooner.

First things first, I need to get a gun safe as it seems not only the law in CA but also just common sense given I have kids in the house, so I'd like to go ahead and get that now and get it sorted out at home. Any recommendations on 3-gun capacity safes? I'm thinking at most my collection would eventually include a .22, shotgun, and big game rifle. Hopefully picking out a safe is simpler than the firearms themselves!!! I see a couple different 4-5 gun capacity safes on Amazon in the ~$300 range, any reason not to go that route?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
A 3 gun capacity gun safe will be inadequate before you get it home. Get a larger safe. Believe me if you really get into hunting and guns you’ll exceed capacity in no time. In addition to guns and ammo I keep other valuables in my safe like important documents, jewelry, optics, some money and other valuables. You can get a 26 gun Winchester safe with a 45 minute fire rating for $500 and less at Tractor Supply). I’ve checked them out, they are a darn good safe. 26 gun capacity may sound like a lot but when you store other things in it the capacity may get cut in half.

Last edited:
Looking into my first firearm purchases as a total beginner shooter and first time owner, but I know the last year has been crazy for gun purchases. Not having set foot in a shop, what's the general feel for how difficult inventory is right now? Both in terms of available inventory and actually getting salesperson attention? Throw the Covid protocols in the mix with all that too to add to the difficulty. Not knowing much about firearms, I was looking to try and identify a specific firearm, price it, then be able to purchase that exact one, for instance I've had the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 suggested as a good all purpose shotgun. Is that purchasing strategy even realistic? I'm concerned about going in, being overwhelmed and being more at the whim of the salesperson if they don't have exactly what I'm looking for.

In terms of a rifle later into the spring/summer, I was going to be going in looking for a .270 or .308 based on reading and recommendations. Would it be easy enough to find in store or am I looking at a bigger challenge?

What I really want to do is start shooting both rifle and shotgun to learn. Do shooting ranges typically rent this stuff out if I don't own my own yet? I'd like to take my time to not rush my firearm purchase, but I also am anxious to get shooting. Any thoughts on that approach?
I bought my first rifle this year and my first shotgun 2yrs ago.
You need to do your research...there are no shortcut unless you are what I call a "buyer"...buy first learn later type of person.
Gauge? 20 or 12 and why?
Semi or pump and why?
Lefty or righty?
Don't shop the rifle based on caliber....research the brand, weight, recoil, quality, versatility, trigger, finish, scopes and such.
And before you do all that ask yourself : realistically, what will I be hunting and where? No sense in buying a shotgun that shoots 3.5 shells to hunt geese if you are mostly gonna hunt dove and quail.
No sense on buying a big caliber rifle if you can't practice with it...where can you shoot a rifle to practice?
Would you ever go hunting for elk? You might find you have to pay tons of money to be taken to an elk. You might find You can not just buy a tag to hunt an elk or deer for that matter.
You might learn local deer are not very big in southern ca. Do you really need to log a heavy bazooka? Do you have access to private land? If not you are going to hike a lot!..
Or you can just do what others do....

Reactions: sportyg
Don’t really know anything about Costco safes, they are probably ok. The two safes I have I bought from stores that just sell safes. They will deliver them and set them up. They also have a special hand truck that they can walk a safe up stairs. They will also be there if you have any problems. Be sure that the safe is bolted to the floor. I personally am hesitant to put a safe on the second level, but a safe company will get it up there if that’s what you want.
I have one safe in my den (man cave) and one in the garage. I actually prefer the garage location. Be sure to get a safe dehumidifier or desiccicant. An electric dehumidifier is the best.

You can't go wrong with all the advise given here which ever way you decide to go. My only change would have you pick up a 22 mag or a .17 hmr over a ,22 lr. Even though I shoot a .22lr and plunk out to 130 yds with it which a very long shot, but I have a high end scope on it. I also have two mossburgs a 500 & an ultra mag both in pump they are great shooting shotguns. Which you will end up with two or more in time a 20ga & 12Ga in what ever brand you end up liking. Think about what your going to hunt before you buy a rifle for big game and where your going to hunt as has been said. I'm a 7 MM fan and own a S&W in 7MM a real tack diver with the scope I have on it. ( 7MM is over kill for here in Ca.) But it is what we used in Nam as sniper rifles and I fell in love with them. Glass on a gun is more important then the make of gun you buy.

Reactions: WaterDog
You can't go wrong with all the advise given here which ever way you decide to go. My only change would have you pick up a 22 mag or a .17 hmr over a ,22 lr. Even though I shoot a .22lr and plunk out to 130 yds with it which a very long shot, but I have a high end scope on it. I also have two mossburgs a 500 & an ultra mag both in pump they are great shooting shotguns. Which you will end up with two or more in time a 20ga & 12Ga in what ever brand you end up liking. Think about what your going to hunt before you buy a rifle for big game and where your going to hunt as has been said. I'm a 7 MM fan and own a S&W in 7MM a real tack diver with the scope I have on it. ( 7MM is over kill for here in Ca.) But it is what we used in Nam as sniper rifles and I fell in love with them. Glass on a gun is more important then the make of gun you buy.
A 22 magnum is a super fun gun to shoot, one of my favorites both long gun and revolver.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu