Hunting Vehicles?

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
The last 2 years I owned a sedan car and my hunting seasons were very difficult because I had to park on a Hwy and hike in a long way. This year I buckled down and purchased a vehicle worthy of off-road and Hwy. tested out the off-road capabilities yesterday on a rugged road and it did very well!!! What do you all drive for your hunting excursions??
satupa2e.jpgdytanega.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could have done a truck instead,however I'm a freelance musician and I put expensive gear in the vehicle and I cant have it sliding around or in the open. Not only that 4x4 trucks are so darn expensive. Haha

I bought a 1994 4Runner in October specifically for hunting and getting to my range. Bought it with a blown engine, bad axles and a ton of other problems. I've had it up and running for almost two months now. Still have a few project left on it. I'll be installing my lift shortly and I'm going to take all the carpet out of the back and rhino line it.
It's a beast and it goes anywhere.

Bought an 88 Dodge W100 a few months ago. I have been looking for a 4x4 truck for a long time and found it in a mall parking lot. Just got lucky. Runs great with no issues. Easy to work on and my kid will be driving it to school. She will make the boys jealous!

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 144
I love driving my wife's 2006 lincoln navigator with heated and cooled leather seat and what not. We also use it to tow the boat to the lake. But my truck I a 91 ford 1 ton crewcab long bed 4x4 diesel. It get me and 5 others plus gear and the dog anywhere.

I was looking for a 4 Runner but had to compromise and get a Highlander. It's a lot better than the old minivan ;), but I still have to hike a bit. No problem; wife is happy and my hikes are half what they were.
;D

Sent via Tapatalk

I started my hunting in a 1984 Nissan Sentra station wagon with a 1.6 liter 4 cyl engine. I drove that until I replaced it with a '93 Jeep Wrangler with a straight 6 auto- now that was nice! Then, I went to a 92 Cherokee. Currently, a 94 Tacoma 2wd 4cyl. I miss my 4WD!!! :-[

Hallx7... I sold me 94 Toyota 4x4 with 235000 miles on it cause a cylinder went out and also the tranny was about gone. Was the biggest mistake I made. One year I was up in green valley lake and my friend broke her knee cap and had to be taken down to arrowhead hospital, however it was snowing for two days straight and that beast made it down there trudging through 3 feet of snow to the point where I couldn't open my doors. Oh yea and also made it back up. Lol

SoCalHunter27 said:
Hallx7... I sold me 94 Toyota 4x4 with 235000 miles on it cause a cylinder went out and also the tranny was about gone. Was the biggest mistake I made. One year I was up in green valley lake and my friend broke her knee cap and had to be taken down to arrowhead hospital, however it was snowing for two days straight and that beast made it down there trudging through 3 feet of snow to the point where I couldn't open my doors. Oh yea and also made it back up. Lol

The 4Runner will go anywhere. Mine is the 5th or 6th 4Runner we've had in the family. Love them. Plus I wanted a project I could work on cheap. It's ugly but it gets the job done. Next project is installing my lift and throwing on my new rims and tires.
Don't know how to flip the picture the correct way

Attachments

• image.jpg_thumb.png
    image.jpg_thumb.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Hallx7 said:
SoCalHunter27 said:

The 4Runner will go anywhere. Mine is the 5th or 6th 4Runner we've had in the family. Love them. Plus I wanted a project I could work on cheap. It's ugly but it gets the job done. Next project is installing my lift and throwing on my new rims and tires.
Don't know how to flip the picture the correct way

That thing is cool man!! Mine didn't have as much of a lift on it as that. But that will make the perfect hunting vehicle. Once I buy my house I want to invest in an old jeep willies. My dad had a 194? Jeep willies when I was a kid and we had fun in that thing.

A Willies would be cool.
Mine doesn't have any lift on it in that picture. Just bigger tires than the stock ones.

This was my favorite hunting rig. 4" tera flex long arm kit and air lockers on 33's. She would roll over stuff that would scare the S$%T out of you. Wish I still had it.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 89
Lungpopper said:
This was my favorite hunting rig. 4" tera flex long arm kit and air lockers on 33's. She would roll over stuff that would scare the S$%T out of you. Wish I still had it.

Nice. We have an uglier one but up on 35" muds that we're going to do some axle and Trans work on soon.

Jeeps are the best! So quiet I've literally stalked deer in one! I also like my motorcycle, we have lots of blm land up here and I can cruise to my hunting spots a lot easier, and if I don't kill anything I still had fun riding haha

I like the big comfortable longbed diesels to get all of the gear into and from the hunt. And the quads, horses and our legs to do the rest.

Attachments

• Rig.png
    Rig.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 97
  • rig2.JPG
    rig2.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 16
  • rig4.jpg
    rig4.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 13
And sometimes you just have to make due!

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • car.JPG
    car.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Here's my hunting rig..... It's cheap, quiet, relatively quick (faster than hiking by far) and gets me miles past the gates most of you will be parked at :)

IMG_9626_zpsa2800cf9.jpg

We'll hunt as a pair....one trailer for gear, one trailer for deer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu