Hunting with Tom Willoughby?

Hallx7

Jul 31, 2013
Corona
I'm curious if anyone has done a hog hunt with Tom Willoughby. If so, how did it go and what can I expect?
After I ventured into hunting last year my dad decided that along with my two step brothers, we should do an annual hunting trip. So my dad and one of my step brothers got their hunting licenses. We decided to do a hog hunt this year. Between the three of us we had very minimally available weekends (mostly due to my step brother). Neil unfortunately had no openings when we were able to go. Same with Shay (bigboarstopper for those that know him).
I ended up booking with Tom Willoughby out of Paso Robles after reading some good reviews over at Jesse's.
If it were me and my buddies going we probably would have opted for paying a trespass fee or going semi-guided but since my dad and step brother have only hunted pheasant and chuckar I wanted to do a fully guided hunt to hopefully increase the odds of tagging out and sparking their big game fever.
I was told to expect a first shot inside of 125 yards which is good for the other two because I'm not sure of their shooting ability much past 200.
I was a bit turned off that they "preferred" I bring a higher power scoped rifle. (I like hunting with my 45-70 with iron sights) but it is what it is so I'll bring my 30-06.
Anyways, anyone have experience with Tom?
Thanks
Eric

Don't be the first shooter.......it will be over in 30 minutes or less.

You all are going to be successful if you can shoot so go to the range and do some practice. Sight in and practice with the same bullet that you will hunt with. Bring both guns and if you can prove to Tom that you hit the target he'll let you use it.

And don't take your eyes off Tom's field dressing and skinning or you'll miss it!

Thanks Mark.

My plan is to be the last shooter. I want my dad and brother to get first crack at it. I really want them to get excited about it.
I developed their loads for them and my dad picked them up last week so that they can zero in with what I made. I just went out yesterday and checked the zero on all three of my rifles I'm taking with me (including my 45-70).
I'm confident with the 45-70 out to 200 yards so if Tom is fine with it then I'll take that out. If not, I'll probably use the 30-06. It's a great rifle and I'm actually really excited about my new load for it. I may just decide that I want to see how it performs even if Tom is okay with my 45-70. We shall see.
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on Tom the whole time. I just want to always be soaking up and learning as much as I can about hunting. I'm still new at it and I'm the type that never wants to stop learning.
I took up hunting so that I have one more thing I can teach my kids as they get older and something new for me to do in the outdoors. I'm hooked.

I'm really looking forward to the trip and I'll post up results after we return.

Hallx7 said:
I'm curious if anyone has done a hog hunt with Tom Willoughby. If so, how did it go and what can I expect?
After I ventured into hunting last year my dad decided that along with my two step brothers, we should do an annual hunting trip. So my dad and one of my step brothers got their hunting licenses. We decided to do a hog hunt this year. Between the three of us we had very minimally available weekends (mostly due to my step brother). Neil unfortunately had no openings when we were able to go. Same with Shay (bigboarstopper for those that know him).
I ended up booking with Tom Willoughby out of Paso Robles after reading some good reviews over at Jesse's.
If it were me and my buddies going we probably would have opted for paying a trespass fee or going semi-guided but since my dad and step brother have only hunted pheasant and chuckar I wanted to do a fully guided hunt to hopefully increase the odds of tagging out and sparking their big game fever.
I was told to expect a first shot inside of 125 yards which is good for the other two because I'm not sure of their shooting ability much past 200.
I was a bit turned off that they "preferred" I bring a higher power scoped rifle. (I like hunting with my 45-70 with iron sights) but it is what it is so I'll bring my 30-06.
Anyways, anyone have experience with Tom?
Thanks
Eric

I've hunted with Tom & his son's half a dozen times.

They like a scoped rifle because for most people (pigs are rarely stationary) 50 yards is about the most the average hunter with iron sights can pull off an ethical shot.

45-70 also drops like an anvil - hard to compensate for that using "Kentucky windage".

Tom and his crew are the absolute best - if they "advise" you to do something its because they want you to have a quality hunt - but they also want to avoid wounded animals.

I've missed a couple of times at running pigs. They always reassured me that hitting running pigs is a tough shot and not to worry - they'd get me another opportunity.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu