I want to learn to hunt!!!

Lisa Nicole

Dec 27, 2012
Hi everyone. I live in southern California and want to learn how to hunt not as a sport, but rather as a means of learning how to survive (food). I am very familiar with firearms in general (I know how to shoot) but have not selected anything yet to hunt with beyond a owning a Ruger 10/22 and having attended the firearms safety course. Looking around, there are a few places I can go to hunt but the price just to step foot on the land is not only appalling to me since I don't have much money, but has kept me from becoming serious enough to buy hunting firearms.

Eventually, one day, I plan to leave California for a more rural environment in northern latitudes. It would be nice to know how to not only hunt, but harvest the meat as well, before I get there.

So, I am looking for a mentor.... I am also looking for advice to get started from firearms to places to go....

Thx,

Welcome to SCH.
As far as land to hunt on, there is a lot of public land that includes NF and BLM lands that you can hunt on. Guns it all depends on what you want to hunt. Small game or Big game?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu