I want to start hunting.

BadBadBad

Feb 29, 2016
I already have a license, I am just curious what the best spots and scopes to get. I read this on hunting scopes and was wondering which scopes to get. I got the Sako 85 Finnlight as a birthday present and would like to buy a scope for it and I wondering which one to get. Are there any other firearms that I should get for hunting?

Welcome to the site,

How much do you want to spend will help in suggesting a scope.

If you forked out the cash for a $1500 rifle don't go cheap on the scope. I would say at the least go with a Leupold VX2 but for a few bucks more a VX3 would be a sweet match on that gun. Also don't go cheap on the rings try and get it mounted as low to the barrel as possible. The scope will be the most important part of your rifle. It is not hard to get a rifle to go boom the trick is acquiring and hitting what you are shooting. IF you buy the scope from Fine Fire Arms they will mount it and bore site it for you.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3i-riflescopes/

As for another gun get a 12ga capable of shooting 3" magnums and you will be set between the two guns to hunt everything in our area.

As for a good spot get a map and get out there you cant find them from your couch. There are some good aps out there that help you finding public land look into ONX Hunts. Also google earth is a great tool.

What caliber?

Do you have binos? Gotta find them first before you can shoot & you'll spend more time behind them than your scope and don't use your scope to glass it's a big no no safety wise.

US Optics if you have the money

At least a 3x9x40 but higher magnification is a plus if you can't close the distance

+ 1 on the 12ga if you can make sure it can take 3.5" shells better to have and seldom use verses needing it because it's the only shells available in the field.

I'm too ignorant to provide any advice on the scope, but that's a nice lookin rifle!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Aeon said:
Welcome to the site,

The most I want to spend is $1000 if I only stick to my current gun but I am willing to spend $2000 with a new rifle and a scope.

BadBadBad said:
Aeon said:
Welcome to the site,

The most I want to spend is $1000 if I only stick to my current gun but I am willing to spend $2000 with a new rifle and a scope.

You can find some pretty nice scopes for that amount of $$$. What have you been looking at?

BadBadBad said:
Aeon said:
Welcome to the site,

Check out huskemaws and vortex viper pst. Or go night force I have the nxs and love it. I heard the shv is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are building a hunting rifle and you really want to start hunting I recomend getting a decent scope and booking a pig hunt. $1,000 is a lot of money and you can get something nice for that go down to FFA or your local gunshop depending on where you live and look through a few and make your choice based on preference. Remember lighter is always better when hunting and acquiring your target is a big part of the battle so don't get a crazy high powered bench scope for your hunting rifle. Don't worry about buying another rifle yet use that money to get yourself out hunting, buy a shotgun, and get some camouflage etc. Turkey season is in 3 weeks get a shotgun and some camouflage and get out there. Guys kill animals all day long with entire rigs that cost less then $500.

If you want to get into hunting don't think about it too much, get out there and get your boots on the ground even if you don't get anything it will be fun. Don't get me wrong I like spending money on guns just as much as the next guy. But remember that a $300 Savage with a $200 Nikon will kill an animal just as easily as a $300 rig the trick is getting out there and getting that animal in the cross hairs. I am abusive on my guns they are tools not safe queens so a decent Leupold on my hunting rifle is all I need because I never want to be afraid of scratching it when I am on my belly crawling under a barb wire fence.

Buy a decent scope and call Neil at Giant Sequoia Guide service or the Jack ranch and book a hog hunt. You will learn a ton and get some bullets bloody.

Truduct said:
If you are building a hunting rifle and you really want to start hunting I recomend getting a decent scope and booking a pig hunt. $1,000 is a lot of money and you can get something nice for that go down to FFA or your local gunshop depending on where you live and look through a few and make your choice based on preference. Remember lighter is always better when hunting and acquiring your target is a big part of the battle so don't get a crazy high powered bench scope for your hunting rifle. Don't worry about buying another rifle yet use that money to get yourself out hunting, buy a shotgun, and get some camouflage etc. Turkey season is in 3 weeks get a shotgun and some camouflage and get out there. Guys kill animals all day long with entire rigs that cost less then $500.

If you want to get into hunting don't think about it too much, get out there and get your boots on the ground even if you don't get anything it will be fun. Don't get me wrong I like spending money on guns just as much as the next guy. But remember that a $300 Savage with a $200 Nikon will kill an animal just as easily as a $300 rig the trick is getting out there and getting that animal in the cross hairs. I am abusive on my guns they are tools not safe queens so a decent Leupold on my hunting rifle is all I need because I never want to be afraid of scratching it when I am on my belly crawling under a barb wire fence.

Buy a decent scope and call Neil at Giant Sequoia Guide service or the Jack ranch and book a hog hunt. You will learn a ton and get some bullets bloody.

x1..... Agreed

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu