I'm Looking for a Grey Squirrel hunting guide or location info

trevor

Apr 26, 2018
I found the old post on these forums regarding this topic but the link provided is dead and my google searching is coming up empty. The dead end link i am referencing is Neil Ray (Giant Sequoia Guide Service). I am looking for either a guide or just good spots to hunt on my own. Unfortunately, the closest places to me are in Kern county but all the info I have found on current grey squirrel population has been outdated for several years.

All the info that I have found through Google(as of 2008, so, very outdated) says that the forests surrounding Lake Isabella were once good hunting spots for Greys but have since been destroyed by poachers and over hunting. I'm hoping that maybe the squirrels have had a rebound in the last 10 years but i imagine that this is unlikely. I may just be stuck with the 9hr drive to Eldorado forest east of Sacramento where the Grey population is dense.

So, I am stuck between calling local game wardens for updated squirrel populations or finding a guide to help determine where i should go. If any of you have any info on these places, guides or other places surrounding Kern county I would greatly appreciate your help.

SLO county. Remember that the blue haired ladies made it illegal to hunt squirrels in So. Cal.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu